Friday, August 08, 2008

Summer Camping

We were lucky enough to finally get our trailer out of storage (after using it once after we purchased it last fall) and go on 3 camping trips this summer. We always wish we had more time. I forget how much the kids really enjoy it (and how much effort it takes to get ready!). After the 3rd trip I can say I am officially less nervous riding shot-gun while Trev is pulling the trailer. I was having serious contractions at one point during our first outing. Trev is totally calm about the whole thing, but towing 4500 pounds seems so scary to me! I still can't sleep while he is driving...but we can hook-up and unhook with ease now. We still feel like rookies in all the trailer business. I should have paid more attention growing up. My mom and dad always had a trailer, and I never noticed much about it except that I had a bed and a place to shower! But having the trailer (um, an actual bed AND bathroom) does wonders for a pregnant woman in her 3rd trimester. Our two main trips were to Silver Falls, OR with Trevor's family and Paradise Point (near Vancouver, WA) with my family.

Silver Falls was gorgeous! The water was icy cold, but you couldn't beat the scenery. We went on a few hikes (one on a trail that goes behind a waterfall, so cool!), ate lots of food, and enjoyed lots of family. We loved having the new baby cousins (Evee & Beckett) around to hold and enjoy..they grow up so fast! We don't see these guys nearly enough!!



Happy 4th of July!



Addy & Beckett watching a movie in the trailer.

Craft time in the sun




We missed my parents and Erin at Paradise Point. Erin just had surgery to repair her ACL, so mom had nurse duty back at home with her. We missed them so much, but we were surprised how the rest of us managed on our own without the parentals --- great meals and even dutch oven desserts! The kids had so much fun with their cousins, riding bikes, and exploring. What's not to like when it is okay to be messy, you can run around in the dirt, and the cooler is full of soda and juice?! Seriously, the simpleness of it all is heaven to them.




Playing in the river. You can't see that we are directly under a freeway overpass! The campground was seriously 200 feet from I-5! It was a last minute reservation, so we took what we could get. We were able to block the noise out a bit after awhile...but it sure didn't feel like the good 'ol outdoors! But we were all together...so that's what counts, right?!


Water balloons! They took an hour to fill and about 3 minutes to go through them all!








We haven't 'winterized' the trailer yet in hopes that we might sneak in once last trip at the end of August. It would definitely be close by because the baby clock is ticking. But, I am afraid the 'to-do' list might be too long! We'll see...


1 comments:

Carmen Goetschius 6:08 AM  

So fun and so impressive Shell-- camping with a baby on the way soon, soon, soon. By the way, when is your due date again?! Can't wait to meet the third little one!

Love, Car

Email Me

Blog Archive

Our {business}

Why I {Blog}

My little blog is a family journal. I include things on here I want to remember years and years from now. So when I post a zillion pictures...it is because I want to have it for my posterity. So please forgive the often posted-picture overload.

Currently I am trying to focus on my photography skills...reading, reading, reading, and taking pictures when I can. Then edit, read, read, read some more. I finally feel like I have a basic understanding of exposure...hooray! I updated my blog template so I can display larger photos because...aren't pictures better than anything I have to say anyway?

More about me here.

Looking For Something?

Avoiding {Illiteracy}

  • Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis
  • The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
  • Persuasion by Jane Austen
  • Chocolat by Joanne Harris
  • The Squires Tale by Gerald Morris
  • David Copperfield by Charles Dickens
  • Watership Down by Richard Adams
  • Crossing to Safety by Wallace Stegner
  • The Color of Water by James McBride
  • I Am a Mother by Jane Clayson Johnson
  • Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
  • The Tempest by William Shakespeare
  • The Witch of Blackbird Pond & The Bronze Bow by Elizabeth George Speare
  • Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky
  • Twilight by Stephenie Meyer
  • Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
  • Freakonomics by Steven Levitt & Stephen Dubner
  • Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling
  • Undaunted Courage by Stephen E. Ambrose
  • Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes