Tuesday, December 16, 2008

O Christmas Tree

We ventured to the Red Barn in Orting again this year to cut down our Christmas tree. The kids love this tradition. We went extra early on Saturday Dec. 6th to avoid the crowds. They have a little train that takes you around the tree farm. Once you find and cut your tree down, the train picks you up (and your tree) and takes you back the barn. Then we went out for hot chocolate (and, by the way, Starbucks "Signature Hot Chocolate" is the absolute BEST!).

The next day I spent about 2 hours putting on the lights. I am picky. I like the look of lots of lights, but you have to really take your time so the lights are tightly wrapped around the branches so the cord doesn't show.....you know? It is a tedious job that I have inherited in our family. It takes forever and the kids are running around in the back ground asking..."can we decorate it now?!" a zillion times. I keep thinking a nice, pre-lit, fake tree would have its perks. But we are all about the experience ... and it just wouldn't be the same if we didn't wander around a tree farm and cut one down! And, now, all those lights make it look so good! And did I mention the fresh evergreen smell??? Can't beat that. Okay, fresh tree it is.







5 comments:

Rachelle 12:09 AM  

I love the photos of your kids by the tree, it looks so peaceful and cozy, just what Christmas should be:)

Thomas Family 9:26 AM  

Nothin' but the real thing!...Amen
Oh and by the way, thats so great that Addy wants the same swimming baby. If Santa pulls through for both of them then that'd be cute to have Addy over and they could play with their baby's together.
Fun stuff

Lori S O 5:23 PM  

The cutest pics with the kids by the tree! Great~ Relax and enjoy the magic of the holiday.

Tiffanie Novakovich 2:29 AM  

Hey guys! I'd like to send you a Christmas card, but I don't have your most recent address. Can you send it to me at tiffanie50 @ hotmail.com.
Thanks!

thehalvs 10:09 AM  

I totally agree that a live tree is the way to go even though it's certainly more work. Audrey swears she won't marry anyone who is a fake tree person. Pretty funny. Also, Starbucks hot chocolate rocks. I often wonder what ward memebers would think watching me drive away from Starbucks with a look of glee on my face!

Email Me

Blog Archive

Our {business}

Why I {Blog}

My little blog is a family journal. I include things on here I want to remember years and years from now. So when I post a zillion pictures...it is because I want to have it for my posterity. So please forgive the often posted-picture overload.

Currently I am trying to focus on my photography skills...reading, reading, reading, and taking pictures when I can. Then edit, read, read, read some more. I finally feel like I have a basic understanding of exposure...hooray! I updated my blog template so I can display larger photos because...aren't pictures better than anything I have to say anyway?

More about me here.

Looking For Something?

Avoiding {Illiteracy}

  • Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis
  • The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
  • Persuasion by Jane Austen
  • Chocolat by Joanne Harris
  • The Squires Tale by Gerald Morris
  • David Copperfield by Charles Dickens
  • Watership Down by Richard Adams
  • Crossing to Safety by Wallace Stegner
  • The Color of Water by James McBride
  • I Am a Mother by Jane Clayson Johnson
  • Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
  • The Tempest by William Shakespeare
  • The Witch of Blackbird Pond & The Bronze Bow by Elizabeth George Speare
  • Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky
  • Twilight by Stephenie Meyer
  • Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
  • Freakonomics by Steven Levitt & Stephen Dubner
  • Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling
  • Undaunted Courage by Stephen E. Ambrose
  • Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes