Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Sicky Baby

photo by Tia Bennett

My poor little guy is FINALLY feeling better. 3 days before he finished his round of antibiotics for pneumonia, he got a viral infection. Completely unrelated. Geez...what luck. So, while we were down in Vancouver for the weekend to see my sister play soccer (more on that soon), we were up both nights with a fussy, feverish, baby and consoling him and worrying about him during the day. After taking his temp constantly (thanks to my sister in law's cool thermometer, you know the forehead kind? gotta get one of those)...and pushing the Tylenol every 4 hours, we finally took him to an urgent care facility because his fever of 103 just wouldn't come down. Two hours later, after a round of Motrin, the fever finally broke. Scary. Sometimes I'm just not sure when to ride it out or take him to the doctor. So, the poor kid has seen a doctor 5 times in less than 2 weeks, including 2 urgent care visits. Feel the joy of all those appointments. Well, he was negative for RSV and flu. Good. And still eating. Good. But, fevers lasting for more than 5 days.... Bad. So, we are grateful he started coming out of it after 3 days and seems to be returning to his normal self. You just feel so helpless caring for a sicky baby....But, we had him giggling on the couch tonight...we've missed that.

6 comments:

Carmen Goetschius 5:32 AM  

Stressful!!! I am so glad he is finally feeling better, which is a huge relief for mommy!!!

You are awesome Shell.
Love, Car

Dan and Anne 7:52 AM  

Wow.... that is just so hard! Doesn't it just break your heart when you can't do anything for them. I always worry about being the mom that is too paranoid and brings their kid in for anything but with a fever it is just so hard to tell. (I've spent a few nights wondering if I should go into the ER or something when his fever wouldn't break) I hope little Ry starts feeling better!

Camille and Bryce 7:54 AM  

So glad Ry Ry is feeling better. Don't worry, remember I took Graham to the doctors like 5 times before he was a month old...paranoid right here! Can NOT wait to see you guys, I hope next week flies by so I can be on a plane to see you guys!

TiAnn, Paul, Kalispell, and Brinnley Finn 9:37 AM  

It is so hard having a sick baby, and we're so glad that he's starting to pull out of it. Poor little guy, precious babies should never have to be sick. Hope he bounces back quickly, and your photo is beautiful of the both of you.

thehalvs 1:42 PM  

So glad he's feeling better...

SuburbiaMom 5:54 PM  

Yes, kids with fevers is scary stuff. At least he hasn't, and hopefully never will have, a febrile seizure. Those are scary!

Hope you are okay.

Email Me

Blog Archive

Our {business}

Why I {Blog}

My little blog is a family journal. I include things on here I want to remember years and years from now. So when I post a zillion pictures...it is because I want to have it for my posterity. So please forgive the often posted-picture overload.

Currently I am trying to focus on my photography skills...reading, reading, reading, and taking pictures when I can. Then edit, read, read, read some more. I finally feel like I have a basic understanding of exposure...hooray! I updated my blog template so I can display larger photos because...aren't pictures better than anything I have to say anyway?

More about me here.

Looking For Something?

Avoiding {Illiteracy}

  • Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis
  • The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
  • Persuasion by Jane Austen
  • Chocolat by Joanne Harris
  • The Squires Tale by Gerald Morris
  • David Copperfield by Charles Dickens
  • Watership Down by Richard Adams
  • Crossing to Safety by Wallace Stegner
  • The Color of Water by James McBride
  • I Am a Mother by Jane Clayson Johnson
  • Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
  • The Tempest by William Shakespeare
  • The Witch of Blackbird Pond & The Bronze Bow by Elizabeth George Speare
  • Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky
  • Twilight by Stephenie Meyer
  • Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
  • Freakonomics by Steven Levitt & Stephen Dubner
  • Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling
  • Undaunted Courage by Stephen E. Ambrose
  • Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes