Friday, June 26, 2009

So domestic!

So after picking 3 huge bowls of strawberries out of our garden, I decided it was about time to figure out this jam-thing. I was in shock when those strawberries produced 8 cups of pureed strawberries! (and to think I almost went to u-pick to get more because I didn't think our garden would have enough!...how is that for living off the land!?? hello, food storage.) Now, don't go getting too crazy thinking I did the whole boil the jars to seal, etc....nope, started with freezer jam, no sealing required...besides way less sugar and I simply like it better too. The kids had fun taking turns with the food processor and were actually a little astounded we were making our own jam (as in, is this really possible mom?!) And, I can't believe I haven't tried it before because it was so easy! We made 4 batches (about 25 jars total). I don't think I let the pectin boil quite long enough on the first round because it didn't set as well as the other 3, ya know, when I found my rhythm. I loved these cute little jam jars...but I also found some disposable plastic jars with lids that screw on...those worked too, just not as cute.

And, of course a few to give away....


How is that for domestic???! Of course my family has almost devoured an entire jar already...good thing my freezer is stocked so we can enjoy yummy jam all year!

8 comments:

Jen I 4:16 PM  

Yeah, that is super domestic! And self-sufficient! And funny because I actually have only made jam once (with Brooke a few years ago), and just today I was thinking I should try freezer jam and wondered if it had less sugar because I don't like the taste of it as well with all the sugar. It doesn't taste like strawberries as much when you add all the sugar. I'll have to try it sometime. Yum!

lori 4:29 PM  

the "runny" jam makes great syrup on pancakes... I love jam

Our family 5:42 PM  

I found a new brand of pectin for freezer jam this year. It comes in a big envelope/packet rather than a box and it takes about 1/2 as much sugar as the other stuff. It doesn't require any boiling either. Just mix and bottle. I think I got it at Wal-Mart, in case you come up with more strawberries. This was my first year of jam-making too and we've loved it! (though I didn't go so far as to grow my own berries)

Becca, Bryce, Ty and Caden 6:52 PM  

way to go Rochelle! My strawberries are getting eaten by slugs and I haven't done anything about it yet! I bet your kitchen smells heavenly!!

Camille and Bryce 9:31 PM  

You're awesome shell. So far our strawberries have produced one yes one strawberry!

Karen 6:47 PM  

i second all the suggestions here :o) new freezer pectin is AWESOME, and there are always good uses for the first batch that doesn't quite turn out. we use it as syrup as well, or also on vanilla ice cream for sundaes! way to be domestic, girl :o)

SuburbiaMom 11:39 AM  

Go, domestic goddess, go! You can never have too much strawberry jam, in my opinion!!

Bringhurst Family 8:20 PM  

Mmmmm I'm hungry!

Email Me

Blog Archive

Our {business}

Why I {Blog}

My little blog is a family journal. I include things on here I want to remember years and years from now. So when I post a zillion pictures...it is because I want to have it for my posterity. So please forgive the often posted-picture overload.

Currently I am trying to focus on my photography skills...reading, reading, reading, and taking pictures when I can. Then edit, read, read, read some more. I finally feel like I have a basic understanding of exposure...hooray! I updated my blog template so I can display larger photos because...aren't pictures better than anything I have to say anyway?

More about me here.

Looking For Something?

Avoiding {Illiteracy}

  • Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis
  • The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
  • Persuasion by Jane Austen
  • Chocolat by Joanne Harris
  • The Squires Tale by Gerald Morris
  • David Copperfield by Charles Dickens
  • Watership Down by Richard Adams
  • Crossing to Safety by Wallace Stegner
  • The Color of Water by James McBride
  • I Am a Mother by Jane Clayson Johnson
  • Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
  • The Tempest by William Shakespeare
  • The Witch of Blackbird Pond & The Bronze Bow by Elizabeth George Speare
  • Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky
  • Twilight by Stephenie Meyer
  • Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
  • Freakonomics by Steven Levitt & Stephen Dubner
  • Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling
  • Undaunted Courage by Stephen E. Ambrose
  • Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes