Friday, June 18, 2010

{First Track Meet}

I am avoiding housework right now, so I am blogging again...

Our local Parks & Recreation hosts a bunch of track meets in the summer.  Several different teams are competing or you can just come as an individual and compete in up to 4 events.  All ages 2 to 99! Trevor actually got our family sponsored (minus me....as if!) by his friend's company: Best Self Storage.  So Trev and the kids got to compete for free! Thanks Mike! 

Trevor started running 3 months ago after 4 years off from running. He is training for the Hood to Coast in August, so competing a couple times in the longer distances at these track meets are part of his 'speed work' or something.  He ran the 2 mile and basically blew everyone out of the water.  However, he wasn't too impressed with his time, but I think it was just under 10 minutes.  He hasn't run in a track meet in over 6 years! But he can't get the glory days out of his mind from college when he ran that race in under 9 minutes. 



Addy wasn't feeling too well and was afraid of the start 'gun'.  Well, I am glad she is afraid of guns, but I couldn't convince her it is just a pretend gun that makes a loud sound only. So she competed in the standing long jump and shot put (softball throw).  Maybe next time we'll get her to run the 50 and 100m dash.


Too cold to wear the shorts I brought her.  Jeans aren't the best track outfit, but she didn't seem to mind! She improved each jump, with a personal best of 3 feet 3 inches!
Need to work on moving a bit closer to the 'line' before she throws. :-) 

Carson competed in the 100m and 400m race.  And ran the whole 400 without stopping! Here he is warming up.



And Ry was just hard to handle the whole time. 





I was amazed at how many kids were there on such a lousy, cold day.  No 'placement' ribbons for our kiddos, but it was their first time and it will be fun to watch them actually learn how to compete better.  Good thing they have a good personal trainer.  I'm sure we'll be attending a few more throughout the summer.  Although, it was starting to drive me a little crazy because track meets seem to move so s-l-o-w-l-y.  Just a lot of waiting around, you know?

I guess kinda like me and the bathrooms.  Got. To. Get. Motivated.

3 comments:

Carmen Goetschius 9:15 PM  

So fun! Even if it was slow-- seems like a really fun way to spend an afternoon! Love to you, friend!

SuburbiaMom 11:57 AM  

Yea--track meets! You should run, than it won't seem like too much waiting around ;)!

Tyler 4:31 PM  

So cool! Maybe get all the kids cap guns so Addy can get used to the sound.....lol Glad you guys are having fun. Was Carson's time in the 400 under 60 seconds? As a pettingill we can all do that at any time without any training(trev will get it :-) )

Email Me

Blog Archive

Our {business}

Why I {Blog}

My little blog is a family journal. I include things on here I want to remember years and years from now. So when I post a zillion pictures...it is because I want to have it for my posterity. So please forgive the often posted-picture overload.

Currently I am trying to focus on my photography skills...reading, reading, reading, and taking pictures when I can. Then edit, read, read, read some more. I finally feel like I have a basic understanding of exposure...hooray! I updated my blog template so I can display larger photos because...aren't pictures better than anything I have to say anyway?

More about me here.

Looking For Something?

Avoiding {Illiteracy}

  • Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis
  • The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
  • Persuasion by Jane Austen
  • Chocolat by Joanne Harris
  • The Squires Tale by Gerald Morris
  • David Copperfield by Charles Dickens
  • Watership Down by Richard Adams
  • Crossing to Safety by Wallace Stegner
  • The Color of Water by James McBride
  • I Am a Mother by Jane Clayson Johnson
  • Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
  • The Tempest by William Shakespeare
  • The Witch of Blackbird Pond & The Bronze Bow by Elizabeth George Speare
  • Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky
  • Twilight by Stephenie Meyer
  • Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
  • Freakonomics by Steven Levitt & Stephen Dubner
  • Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling
  • Undaunted Courage by Stephen E. Ambrose
  • Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes