Sunday, September 12, 2010

{H2C: Hood to Coast Relay}

Trevor ran the Hood to Coast relay for the 2nd time at the end of August.  And for the second year in a row, he was injured...but still managed to pull it out.  This year was a ton of fun for him because he got to organize the team.  He was asked in the spring by my BIL's company to put together a team that would finish well and give the company some good exposure.  So Trevor was in heaven calling around and looking up his high school, college, and competitive running teammates.  He had an awesome group of guys that included my brother in law and brother too. 

So we all headed to Portland.  I stayed with the kids at my brother's house and late on Friday night we got a babysitter and the 3 gals headed out to see their husbands in the first leg.  I didn't go down last year, so this was my first time seeing the whole operation, and wow, it was pretty incredible.  Just the mass organization to coordinate such a huge effort is amazing to watch. 

The details: 12 guys in 2 vans.  197 total miles from Mt. Hood to the beach in Seaside.  Each runner runs 3 legs in varying distances.  First van runs all 6 runners and then 'hands off' to the 2nd van who runs their 6 runners, etc. Their team started at 6pm on Friday evening.  Relay runs through the night on Friday and finishes on Saturday.

Major difference from last year when he ran with a non-competitive team was the lack of rest.  Usually the vans have time to rest during their 'off' period while the other van is running.  They bring sleeping bags to actually get some shut eye, etc....but because these runners were so fast, each van finished up in just a few hours not leaving much time to rest after travelling the distance to the next pit stop. And forcing you to run your 3 legs in a much, much shorter time overall. 

We stopped at several of the legs and saw Chris begin and then again when he ended the leg and passed off to Trevor, and then saw Trevor finish up.  Bryce was running at 1 in the morning, so we missed him...sorry Bryce! 

The three Brother-in-Laws.
One of the two vans.
Curtis and Trevor (Curtis and Matt (not pictured) ran with Trevor in the Marathon Olympic Trials in 2004). So fun to see them again!
Chris handing off to Trevor.

Bryce and Trevor in the morning of the second day. (thanks for the pic Curtis!)

The whole team at the end (thanks Curtis for the picture!). 
They finished 10th overall (out of approx 1000 teams!) with a total time of 20 hours, 1 min, 56 seconds. 

They are already talking about next year....


4 comments:

Camille 1:54 PM  

WOW! They are so BAD-A!!! :) Wish we were there to support too...what a great group!

The Spendloves 9:09 AM  

Wow that's fast!! I did Wasatch Back this year which is the same idea and about the same distance (190 miles) and our all girls team was MUCH slower. Not exactly surprising though.

Karen 10:19 AM  

Yeah, I'm glad don't have anything to compare them to because I'm sure they would have completely shown me up!!! How fun for Trevor and co... Now come and do the Cumberland to Washington DC Ragnar relay so we can see you guys again!!!

Sure love you, Roch... I'd love to talk sometime :o) What's your schedule like nowadays?

SabinJT 9:54 PM  

How cool! The Sabin's are sooo proud of you!

Email Me

Blog Archive

Our {business}

Why I {Blog}

My little blog is a family journal. I include things on here I want to remember years and years from now. So when I post a zillion pictures...it is because I want to have it for my posterity. So please forgive the often posted-picture overload.

Currently I am trying to focus on my photography skills...reading, reading, reading, and taking pictures when I can. Then edit, read, read, read some more. I finally feel like I have a basic understanding of exposure...hooray! I updated my blog template so I can display larger photos because...aren't pictures better than anything I have to say anyway?

More about me here.

Looking For Something?

Avoiding {Illiteracy}

  • Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis
  • The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
  • Persuasion by Jane Austen
  • Chocolat by Joanne Harris
  • The Squires Tale by Gerald Morris
  • David Copperfield by Charles Dickens
  • Watership Down by Richard Adams
  • Crossing to Safety by Wallace Stegner
  • The Color of Water by James McBride
  • I Am a Mother by Jane Clayson Johnson
  • Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
  • The Tempest by William Shakespeare
  • The Witch of Blackbird Pond & The Bronze Bow by Elizabeth George Speare
  • Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky
  • Twilight by Stephenie Meyer
  • Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
  • Freakonomics by Steven Levitt & Stephen Dubner
  • Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling
  • Undaunted Courage by Stephen E. Ambrose
  • Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes