Thursday, December 30, 2010

{Christmas Eve}

A few days before Christmas Eve our plans for the evening fell through, so after drying some tears we pulled together as a family to organize a fun night together!  We had Uncle Tyler with us too...so that was fun! The kids love him! 

We started out the day with some last minute shopping (not me.....I wasn't braving the stores...but Christmas Eve is Trevor's favorite day to shop.  I roll my eyes about it, but he always gets the job done and come through big time each year).  Then we met for breakfast at The Original Pancake House. Yum!! 

Next up was baking prep for Christmas Day. Carson and Addy were each in charge of choosing and making a pie.  So we made Banana Cream (Carson) and Chocolate Cream (Addy)....and they made real cream pies ya'll...not the pudding mix.  They were great! 

Then my favorite part of the whole day...watching a movie snuggled up with my kiddos.  Rylan and Addy both snuggled in close as we watched 'A Christmas Story'.  Ry fell asleep and we all dozed on an off.  But it was my favorite...I felt so lucky to be snuggled up with my littles with the beautiful Christmas tree and Christmas-ness all around.  No other place I would have rather been. And I shed some tears at the end of the movie thinking "All was right with the World" at that exact moment....all of us together.   Just pretend I don't look 20 pounds heavier in this picture, okay?!




We had our traditional Chinese take-out dinner so I could save my energy for the cooking the next day.  It was delish!

Then our Christmas Eve program started with Carson playing some Christmas songs on the piano.  Singing Christmas carols and then acting out the nativity.  We were short on actors, so a couple of us had to play two parts. I was the narrator and the angel. 

Here is Mary & Joseph, and the all important donkey. 
Then the shepherds.

And wiseman.  Rylan stacked up a whole pile of gifts for the baby Jesus.

We watched the church video, the Nativity.  It was perfect.  Really trying to focus on the Savior and His birth on this night especially!  The kids were reverent and aware with the Spirit really touching our hearts as we reflected on that sacred night.

Then came the opening of one present: new Christmas Eve PJs and then the resulting fashion show.


But Ry just wanted to wear Dad's new basketball shorts.


But he looked so cute in his own PJs.






Then we frosted cookies for Santa, spread our reindeer food in the front yard, and watched Disney's 'Prep and Landing' (a favorite since last year).  And finished off with "Twas the Night Before Christmas".



The evening was quieter than we are used to for Christmas Eve, but in a good way.  It was a tremendous blessing to be together in our warm home celebrating all our family traditions.  All is right with the world.


3 comments:

Tyler 11:23 PM  

Great pictures! What an awesome night!

Aim 7:21 AM  

We have Chinese on Christmas Eve too! I think I said that last year! Oh well. We have always done that in honor of Meg's birthday, then when we get home we celebrate Christmas Eve.

As much as I loved being with Meg this year, I feel like I missed out. I really am a homebody when it comes to Christmas. Theres no place like home!
Sorry this is such a long comment, just sending my love! And tell Trev, Scott Christmas Eve shops too! Weirdo's!

Camille 9:08 AM  

I've been reading your blog on my phone and it's so hard to comment! Looks like you have had an awesome time up to Christmas. Car and Addy are at the perfect age...I love that they are so into it!! Sure miss you guys...can't wait to see you in San Diego!

Email Me

Blog Archive

Our {business}

Why I {Blog}

My little blog is a family journal. I include things on here I want to remember years and years from now. So when I post a zillion pictures...it is because I want to have it for my posterity. So please forgive the often posted-picture overload.

Currently I am trying to focus on my photography skills...reading, reading, reading, and taking pictures when I can. Then edit, read, read, read some more. I finally feel like I have a basic understanding of exposure...hooray! I updated my blog template so I can display larger photos because...aren't pictures better than anything I have to say anyway?

More about me here.

Looking For Something?

Avoiding {Illiteracy}

  • Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis
  • The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
  • Persuasion by Jane Austen
  • Chocolat by Joanne Harris
  • The Squires Tale by Gerald Morris
  • David Copperfield by Charles Dickens
  • Watership Down by Richard Adams
  • Crossing to Safety by Wallace Stegner
  • The Color of Water by James McBride
  • I Am a Mother by Jane Clayson Johnson
  • Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
  • The Tempest by William Shakespeare
  • The Witch of Blackbird Pond & The Bronze Bow by Elizabeth George Speare
  • Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky
  • Twilight by Stephenie Meyer
  • Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
  • Freakonomics by Steven Levitt & Stephen Dubner
  • Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling
  • Undaunted Courage by Stephen E. Ambrose
  • Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes