Tuesday, February 01, 2011

{Carson's 9th Birthday/Movie Party}

The day after I got back from San Diego was Carson's 9th birthday!  Seriously can't believe I have a 9 year old!  He is such a good kid, and I wanted to make sure his day was extra special! But I hadn't prepared much before hand so the day was exhausting to say the least:  Decorate mirror in bathroom, birthday breakfast, send-off to school, shopping for presents, buy treats for Carson's class, pick up Carson for lunch out to McDonald's, sneak in a hair cut for the boys, back to school to pass out treats, bake cake, make birthday dinner and finally cake/candles/presents when dad got home.  Whew! It was fun but definitely wore me out!






We scheduled his 'friend' party for the following Saturday....which gave me 3 days to get ready.  Kids birthday parties are the best!  I tend to go a bit overboard, but I just can't help myself...it was so fun! And I loved the theme he picked out this year....A movie party!


Trevor was in charge of creating the ticket booth (and did a great job too!  The kids are still playing with it!)  When his friends arrived they were given an envelope of play money to buy a movie ticket and concessions.

The concessions table.  This was so fun to put together. We had nachos, popcorn, hot dogs, candy, and soda.



 I borrowed my friend's tabletop popcorn maker....it was the hit of the party!  It was the coolest and so easy too!  Makes me really want to have one of my own!  The kids loved it.  And fresh popcorn is oh-so-good!

The kids had their own trays to stash their goodies...and the party was a breeze after that.  We watched 'Despicable Me' (which is hilarious if you haven't seen it yet!).  The kids were in the zone.  It was so easy.  I just refilled drinks, nachos, popcorn while they all quietly watched the movie.  No chaos, no wrestling boys, no running around.  It was a great choice for 9 year-olds!
We had just enough time after the movie to open a few presents and have cupcakes. 
Aren't these the cutest?
My friend gave me the idea and sent me the tutorial and my sister-in-law helped me assemble (thanks Anne!) It really was so easy...bake cupcake, frost with swirly frosting, cut up marshmallows on top, brushed with a little watered down yellow food coloring. I bought the gingham paper and made the 'popcorn' tag...and there you have it!  Popcorn cupcakes!


Party favors were easy too!

Thanks to all his fun friends for making it a special day!

Happy Birthday Car! You gave me the biggest hug to thank me for an awesome party and that was all I could ask for...so happy to have a party for such a great kid.
 We are so glad you are in our family.  You have really matured over this last year.  You help out a ton with Rylan ... he just adores his big brother!  You are doing great in school.  You are an amazing reader and writer. You love cubscouts, projects, and sports.  You love watching basketball and football with Dad.  You are so sweet with babies.  You love your scriptures and say the sweetest prayers.  I am so glad you are the big brother to Addison, Ry, and baby on the way.  And so blessed to have a son who will still give his Mom a hug and a kiss before school and before bed.  We love you!

Photo by Kali Leenstra

Photo by Kali Leenstra

6 comments:

Judy Smith 9:25 AM  

What a great birthday celebration!! We are so glad that Car is growing up as such a nice young man--what a great example for Addy & Ry! Good job on the exceptionally great party Rochelle.

Camille 11:54 AM  

Carson! Happy Happy birthday! That looks like the coolest party ever!! Can't believe that "little" boy is 9 years old! Holy Moly! Way to pull of an awesome party Shell!

SuburbiaMom 12:30 PM  

What a great party idea--and everything turned out way cute. I can't get enough of those cupcakes!! I may borrow this whole idea some time....

Great job!

Reese 2:10 PM  

Amazing party! Wonderful boy! Love all the pics!!!

Becca, Bryce, Ty and Caden 6:23 PM  

Way to go Rochelle, I mean Supermom!!! I just showed Ty and Caden the pictures and now they want a movie party! hahaha

We love you Carson - thanks for being such a great older cousin!

PS - I noticed you covered the couches and floor - good idea!

Brooke 2:11 PM  

Rochelle, you need a blog or link from your blog of the birthday parties you throw for your kids (with the "how-to's"). Seriously so awesome. They always inspire me and I'm sure many others. WAY CUTE!!!

Email Me

Blog Archive

Our {business}

Why I {Blog}

My little blog is a family journal. I include things on here I want to remember years and years from now. So when I post a zillion pictures...it is because I want to have it for my posterity. So please forgive the often posted-picture overload.

Currently I am trying to focus on my photography skills...reading, reading, reading, and taking pictures when I can. Then edit, read, read, read some more. I finally feel like I have a basic understanding of exposure...hooray! I updated my blog template so I can display larger photos because...aren't pictures better than anything I have to say anyway?

More about me here.

Looking For Something?

Avoiding {Illiteracy}

  • Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis
  • The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
  • Persuasion by Jane Austen
  • Chocolat by Joanne Harris
  • The Squires Tale by Gerald Morris
  • David Copperfield by Charles Dickens
  • Watership Down by Richard Adams
  • Crossing to Safety by Wallace Stegner
  • The Color of Water by James McBride
  • I Am a Mother by Jane Clayson Johnson
  • Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
  • The Tempest by William Shakespeare
  • The Witch of Blackbird Pond & The Bronze Bow by Elizabeth George Speare
  • Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky
  • Twilight by Stephenie Meyer
  • Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
  • Freakonomics by Steven Levitt & Stephen Dubner
  • Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling
  • Undaunted Courage by Stephen E. Ambrose
  • Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes