Tuesday, March 22, 2011

{Babymoon/Birthday Getaway/Vacay}

At the beginning of February Trevor and I really wanted to plan a little getaway before the baby comes. Having a nursing baby means no traveling just the two of us for quite awhile...so we wanted to take advantage of the time we had before I got too far along.  We almost went back to Hawaii and then I flip flopped a zillion times about just making it a family trip (you should hear the grief I get from my kids about not taking them!) and then trying to decide if we should go for an entire week or just a long weekend. 

Anyway, ultimately we decided on a long weekend somewhere fairly close over my birthday weekend in March. 

 (And SO glad we did because at the time we didn't know our trip would be 2 weeks prior to selling our house and moving into a new one...yikes!  More on that later... I have been hesitant to post the news before it is done deal...but yes, we got an unexpected offer on our home after being listed for 3 weeks, put an offer in another house 6 days later.... chaos and paperwork the last few weeks ...closed on sale of our current house today and on the new one hopefully by the end of the week!!) 

Because we left early on my birthday, the kids made me a cake the night before we left with my mom (who came to the amazing rescue of watching the kids for the weekend AND my sister's kids while my sister and BIL got away for a pre-baby getaway too!  Yes, my mom handled 5 kids for 4 days...yikes!! She is super woman!)




So we went to Coronado in San Diego.  It is sometimes called Coronado Island, but it is really a peninsula...just a few miles outside of downtown San Diego.  Beautiful, warm, and relaxing...just what we needed!

 I did a lot of this:


And this:


Trev did a lot of this: Catch up on paperwork from work and major basketball watching (yah, know, Jimmer?  Couldn't miss it...and thanks to my brother for hooking him up with the Slingbox connection so he could watch the games at our hotel).

We ate out at a bunch of local restaurants and avoided the 'normal' eating places in favor of the local cuisine...yum!!  We visited the Hotel Del Coronado on the other side of the Island from the Marriott where we were staying.  It is a historical site and simply amazing!

Trev on Coronado beach.  This was the morning of the Tsunami warning on the West Coast.  It was a little scary at first (I called the hotel lobby to see if we needed to leave the island), but by mid-day the risk had passed.  And after seeing the footage in Japan...makes you really count your blessings!

We spent one day shopping at Seaport Village.

And lunch and more shopping in Old Town:


And one day I made Trevor pedal me around the island in this:


Usually I am go, go, go on vacation. But being 32 weeks pregnant just doesn't lend itself to major activities or energy!  So it was nice to have a slower paced vacation to do a little bit of shopping and site-seeing...but mostly eating, relaxing, reading, and soaking up the sun.  So nice to be able to get away and realize...oh yah, we really are a couple!  The crazy family-life tends to take over at home...so a little R&R with the one you love is oh-so-nice!




3 comments:

Jen I 12:21 PM  

How fun! I've realized that trips with the hubby is kind of a necessity in our marriage. Ryan is always in a better mood when we travel and our trips always remind me, that - oh yeah, I do still like you husband!

SuburbiaMom 2:11 PM  

I love San Diego! So glad you got a trip in before baby comes...

Tyler 11:02 AM  

Great Post. Looks like an awesome WELL DESERVED vacation! andI love the stylish picture of Trevor, something the pettingill men seem to often lack!

Email Me

Blog Archive

Our {business}

Why I {Blog}

My little blog is a family journal. I include things on here I want to remember years and years from now. So when I post a zillion pictures...it is because I want to have it for my posterity. So please forgive the often posted-picture overload.

Currently I am trying to focus on my photography skills...reading, reading, reading, and taking pictures when I can. Then edit, read, read, read some more. I finally feel like I have a basic understanding of exposure...hooray! I updated my blog template so I can display larger photos because...aren't pictures better than anything I have to say anyway?

More about me here.

Looking For Something?

Avoiding {Illiteracy}

  • Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis
  • The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
  • Persuasion by Jane Austen
  • Chocolat by Joanne Harris
  • The Squires Tale by Gerald Morris
  • David Copperfield by Charles Dickens
  • Watership Down by Richard Adams
  • Crossing to Safety by Wallace Stegner
  • The Color of Water by James McBride
  • I Am a Mother by Jane Clayson Johnson
  • Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
  • The Tempest by William Shakespeare
  • The Witch of Blackbird Pond & The Bronze Bow by Elizabeth George Speare
  • Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky
  • Twilight by Stephenie Meyer
  • Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
  • Freakonomics by Steven Levitt & Stephen Dubner
  • Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling
  • Undaunted Courage by Stephen E. Ambrose
  • Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes