Friday, March 04, 2011

{Cubs!!}

A couple major events for our cub scout in the last month.
First,
Carson earned his Wolf badge and is now in the Bear Den!
The 'Bear' paw print ritual in our den.
 
Carson with his friend, Jared: both new Bear cub scouts!
 
He earned his wolf badge and 3 arrows (and a chocolate 'bear' from the Cubmaster in the back ground...she is the sweetest!) 
 
Yes, I am still trying to figure out badges, patches, arrows, Faith in God....and the other intricacies of cub scouts! Year 1 down, and we have learned a lot.  With 2 sibling brothers in the ranks, hopefully I'll have a handle on it eventually.

And Second,
The annual Pinewood Derby!!  Trevor and Carson scrambled a bit this last week to build the car.   But it turned out great!

Carson really wanted a gecko on his car, so he came up with the colors and design and our talented painter friend lent a hand to make it fantastic!  He won the award for 'Most exotic and colorful'. 


Placing the car.  Each boy ran 4 heats. 
 There is a winner there on the left!!
 Yes, cookie in hand...
 Another winning finish!
Unfortunately in the 3rd heat he lost to the ultimate winner.  So he didn't get put in the winning bracket (we don't time the races).  Anyway, after they finished they realized Carson was the only one to only lose to the winner, so they raced his car against the 4th, 3rd, and 2nd place cars...and he beat them all!  So after all was said and done, they awarded him 2nd place!!! With a chance to go to districts if he wants. (Um, do we really WANT to do that??...not sure).  Carson was a really good sport about it. Not realizing he just got in a bad bracket...and just happy as can be that he won 3 out of the 4 races.  I was so happy to see him and all the boys really cheering for each other win or lose.   (Yay for Trev too...the pressure is 'on' for dads too...and he came through big time!!)

So 2 years down on Pinewood Derby and only 1 to go for Carson!  I told Trev with 2 more sons we just need to buy the band saw or whatever it is that we borrow every time...because he has 7 more cars to make before we are done with the Pine Wood Derby!! 

But man, seeing the dads and the sons love it so much (and even Addy couldn't help but be as close as possible to the track and action!!)...I am glad we have so many chances to participate again!  Fun for the whole family!  And such a cool thing for my sweet boy!  Cub scouts comes at the most perfect time for boys 8-10...seriously. So great.

4 comments:

Tyler 2:46 PM  

So awesome, congrats to both. I have heard form friends that it is often times really the men competing, so it is nice to see that carseon was involved and did so well! Congrats to you both!

Becca, Bryce, Ty and Caden 5:50 PM  

That's awesome that Carson did so well! I can't wait for Cub Scouts - wait . . . maybe I can! I know nothing about it! hahaha

Erica 9:51 PM  

Awesome pictures!! - WAY TO GO CARSON!

bret and family 9:38 AM  

buy the saw...
and the air brush...
you should seriously think about buying the palm sander, swiss-scew mini-lathe with automatic par feed and a CNC mill with 5-axis tooling...

Email Me

Blog Archive

Our {business}

Why I {Blog}

My little blog is a family journal. I include things on here I want to remember years and years from now. So when I post a zillion pictures...it is because I want to have it for my posterity. So please forgive the often posted-picture overload.

Currently I am trying to focus on my photography skills...reading, reading, reading, and taking pictures when I can. Then edit, read, read, read some more. I finally feel like I have a basic understanding of exposure...hooray! I updated my blog template so I can display larger photos because...aren't pictures better than anything I have to say anyway?

More about me here.

Looking For Something?

Avoiding {Illiteracy}

  • Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis
  • The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
  • Persuasion by Jane Austen
  • Chocolat by Joanne Harris
  • The Squires Tale by Gerald Morris
  • David Copperfield by Charles Dickens
  • Watership Down by Richard Adams
  • Crossing to Safety by Wallace Stegner
  • The Color of Water by James McBride
  • I Am a Mother by Jane Clayson Johnson
  • Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
  • The Tempest by William Shakespeare
  • The Witch of Blackbird Pond & The Bronze Bow by Elizabeth George Speare
  • Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky
  • Twilight by Stephenie Meyer
  • Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
  • Freakonomics by Steven Levitt & Stephen Dubner
  • Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling
  • Undaunted Courage by Stephen E. Ambrose
  • Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes