Friday, July 29, 2011

{Great Grandpa Dalley}

Such a treat that we got to introduce Miles to his Great Grandpa Dalley.  This is my Grandpa, my dad's father.  He still lives in SLC so we get to visit with him at least once a year.  As he nears his 96th birthday (next week!), we really treasure the opportunity to visit with him.  He hasn't been doing so well the last 6 months.  His normally tack sharp memory is failing him.  And more recently his short term memory is going.  He'll tell you the same thing 5 times in 15 minute period.  But, he's still there.  Still happy for a hug or a picture.  Happy to have visitors.  Always tells me I am a "lovely lady" and that he wished he could see me more.  He has 20 grandchildren and gosh, I am not sure, but somewhere around 70 great grand-children.  A tremendous posterity filled to the brim with wonderful people doing the best they can to lead good lives and rear good families. 

We gathered at a park with my grandpa, my Dad's sister, and some of my cousins and their kids. My kids made instant friends. And the older ones just followed Ry around ...he loved the attention!

 My little sunburned baby :(

Love my grandpa.  The little glimpse of his life I got to see makes getting old sad.  He has had so many happy years, but this last one has been hard.  This face shows years of work, service, trials, happiness, and love for others.

I can't help but imagine how he was in his youth.  Look how handsome he was with my beautiful grandmother. 

I hope these visits are helping my own kids understand the importance of respecting their heritage, the lives that came before them, and the literal pathway leading to their own life.  It's a big deal.  And I realize how unique it is for my kids to actually know most of their great-grandparents. Only my paternal grandmother has passed away.  They are lucky for sure to know so many of them!  Great Grandpa and Grandma Snow coming soon!



3 comments:

Carmen Goetschius 4:02 PM  

Rochelle, what a beautiful post! Your grandmother was really beautiful-- and Grandpa Dalley a dapper man!!! I have no doubt that the love of his family lifts his spirits when days are hard. Growing old requires a good deal of grace!

Love you, friend!

Matt 9:31 PM  

I love those old pictures! Your grandparents sure were a cute couple. It's so great that you and your kids get to see him each year. They will always remember that.

Karen 8:56 PM  

I love the last picture of your grandparents. I think Erin looks so much like your grandma in that picture!!! Anyway, we were able to see my grandma last week in California and I had many similar thoughts to yours as we were visiting... Gosh, getting old must be so hard. But family and eternity make it all worth it :)

Email Me

Blog Archive

Our {business}

Why I {Blog}

My little blog is a family journal. I include things on here I want to remember years and years from now. So when I post a zillion pictures...it is because I want to have it for my posterity. So please forgive the often posted-picture overload.

Currently I am trying to focus on my photography skills...reading, reading, reading, and taking pictures when I can. Then edit, read, read, read some more. I finally feel like I have a basic understanding of exposure...hooray! I updated my blog template so I can display larger photos because...aren't pictures better than anything I have to say anyway?

More about me here.

Looking For Something?

Avoiding {Illiteracy}

  • Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis
  • The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
  • Persuasion by Jane Austen
  • Chocolat by Joanne Harris
  • The Squires Tale by Gerald Morris
  • David Copperfield by Charles Dickens
  • Watership Down by Richard Adams
  • Crossing to Safety by Wallace Stegner
  • The Color of Water by James McBride
  • I Am a Mother by Jane Clayson Johnson
  • Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
  • The Tempest by William Shakespeare
  • The Witch of Blackbird Pond & The Bronze Bow by Elizabeth George Speare
  • Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky
  • Twilight by Stephenie Meyer
  • Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
  • Freakonomics by Steven Levitt & Stephen Dubner
  • Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling
  • Undaunted Courage by Stephen E. Ambrose
  • Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes