Thursday, November 17, 2011

{Miles: 6 Months}

This little guys is 6 months old! 


Weight: 17 pounds 9.5 ounces (40%)
Length: 28 inches (90%)
Head: 17 inches (25%)

I was telling Trev the other day that in some ways it feels like he has always been a part of our family and in other ways it has been the longest 6 months ever!  This cute little guy is finally growing out of a really colicky stage that started at about 3 weeks old.  The hours of crying in mid to late afternoon have diminished to about an hour.  The waking up 2-3 times a night have gone away in favor of 7-8 hours of sleep in a row.  And we are now able to anticipate what he needs a little better, thus keeping him happier.  I can't even describe how wonderful this improvement has been. 

I am never really frustrated with Miles.  I get frustrated with myself.  He's sweet as can be...just trying to figure out his little life too.  But I just shake my head and wonder why the heck he can cry for so long.  Worried he's in pain or that he just has a bad temperament that will never improve. And the tension in the house when I am trying to help child A with piano and child B with homework when there is a screaming baby in the background...just crawls up your skin and makes me stressed.  It's been tough. 

The kids have been great.  They take turns too...holding, consoling, shhhh-ing.  We all are looking out for this little one.  We all get spit-up on regularly and have learned to have our defenses ready (a blanket always in hand).  But we are coming out of it.  Slowly.  Just when I think his acid reflux is getting better, there comes a day when we both have to change clothes by 4pm.  But in general, better.  And I've realized there is only so much I can control, and just let the rest be.  Time has helped the most.

Some things to note on our sweet baby #4:

  • He lights up with the attention he receives from anyone.  He has the biggest smile that just melts your heart.
  • He is our big kicker.  Seriously.  He is moving those leggies constantly.  He can rock his infant car seat back and forth like a swing with his legs.  All this makes it almost impossible to change a diaper or bathe him.  He is a wiggle worm for sure.
  • He loves the binkie (thank heavens for that).  And he loves his blankies right up by his face.  When he is tired, you just put a blanket by his face and he pulls it over his head and his eyes roll back and he loves it. 
  • He falls asleep almost every night in Carson's bed.  Carson just begs every night to snuggle him in his own bed.  And they always fall asleep together.  It is the sweetest thing ever...which is why I haven't put the kibosh on it yet. 
  • Addy is a little mother to him and jumps at the chance to do 'baby chores' like changing a diaper, feeding him cereal or rocking him.  And she does a pretty good job too! 
  • Rylan isn't so attached to the little guy.  In fact most of the time when Miles is crying, Rylan is also yelling "Stop it Miles!" at the top of his lungs.  So then I have a screaming baby and a yelling toddler at the same time.  Both frustrated.  I am trying to help Ry love him a little more by giving more kisses and having him be my helper with him.  It's kind of working. Kind of. 
  • Miles lights up when Dad is around.  Trev is so good to tackle the baths, diapers, middle of the night fussing, and other dad help when is home.  But really most of the time I say I'll take the 3 kids if you'll just handle Rylan.  It is definitely not a fair trade.
  • His baby squeals and giggles are priceless.  He is starting to babble and blow bubbles and it is so sweet. 
  • He just cut his first tooth last week!
  • He loves the megasaucer and is getting too big for the swing. 
  • He's almost sitting up on his own.  (And made getting these pictures of him by myself while holding him with one arm, camera in the other, making crazy baby sounds to get his attention, and managing Rylan running around the deck in his underwear....it's a small miracle that I got several good shots of this little one!)
  • And I'm proud to say he has officially been sleeping in his crib for 2 weeks at night.  Until 2 weeks ago, he hadn't spent one night away from the cradle in our room.  It's been hard to let go of that.  I'm so worried about him spitting up in the night and choking (remember the 911 call?)  But his tummy is always more settled at night.  And it's been ok.  I may check on him 2 or 3 times, but he's in his own room like he should be.  And maybe I can start getting some sleep.
Oh the first year just goes by too quickly!  I am grateful for his personality coming through and for fewer rough and cranky days.  I do just love having a baby in the house.  All the work, all the cleaning, all the special needs of newborn....is all just so worth it to snuggle that sweet boy during the day.  Mine.  All mine.




 

 

3 comments:

Becca, Bryce, T, C, and J 9:17 AM  

Such a sweet post Rochelle! Those are great pics, too! I can't believe how big he's gotten - I need to see him soon!!

Jen I 6:21 PM  

I can't believe he falls asleep with Carson every night - how sweet is that???? My kids never would fall asleep like that! So you really should just let it keep going. I seriously have got a workout every night with every one of my kids bouncing the heck out of them until they finally stop fighting sleep and give in. Wow.

Man, I feel the same. At the beginning with this baby I kept thinking - 6 weeks, I can make it till 6 weeks and then they get less fussy. Then when that didn't happen I kept thinking 3 or 4 months, I can sleep train him at 3 or 4 months and he'll be better then. Then at 3 and 4 months he was only napping in my arms all day long...and I thought, 6 months, all babies are just more settled with a better routine at 6 months...and then he was teething. I felt like I was always making one excuse after another for his behavior - sick, or teething, or stomach upset - and then I was afraid it was just his personality. But what do you know? He's actually been pretty pleasant lately, so who knows? Maybe it really always WAS something.

Phew. Babies are so fun, but so hard to know exactly what's going on. Hope the next stretch is great! I usually love 6-9 months!

Carmen Goetschius 12:45 PM  

so handsome and sweet..... glad that this crying, collicky stage will not be forever!! You are doing good, mama Pettingill!

All that kicking!? A future soccer player....

Email Me

Blog Archive

Our {business}

Why I {Blog}

My little blog is a family journal. I include things on here I want to remember years and years from now. So when I post a zillion pictures...it is because I want to have it for my posterity. So please forgive the often posted-picture overload.

Currently I am trying to focus on my photography skills...reading, reading, reading, and taking pictures when I can. Then edit, read, read, read some more. I finally feel like I have a basic understanding of exposure...hooray! I updated my blog template so I can display larger photos because...aren't pictures better than anything I have to say anyway?

More about me here.

Looking For Something?

Avoiding {Illiteracy}

  • Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis
  • The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
  • Persuasion by Jane Austen
  • Chocolat by Joanne Harris
  • The Squires Tale by Gerald Morris
  • David Copperfield by Charles Dickens
  • Watership Down by Richard Adams
  • Crossing to Safety by Wallace Stegner
  • The Color of Water by James McBride
  • I Am a Mother by Jane Clayson Johnson
  • Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
  • The Tempest by William Shakespeare
  • The Witch of Blackbird Pond & The Bronze Bow by Elizabeth George Speare
  • Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky
  • Twilight by Stephenie Meyer
  • Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
  • Freakonomics by Steven Levitt & Stephen Dubner
  • Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling
  • Undaunted Courage by Stephen E. Ambrose
  • Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes