Monday, December 12, 2011

{Deck the Halls!}

The stockings are hung!

I love pulling out the boxes of garland, trees, wreathes, dishes and Christmas decor.  Nothing makes a house feel more cozy then a bunch of Christmas-ness all around.  My mom always has done a great job of really making it feel and look like Christmas at her home.  I hope my kids feel the same in our home too.   Especially since the effort required is a little exhausting.  Not to mention trying to find out where to place everything in a new home. 

I had to make a few stops at the craft stores.  Mostly I went garland-crazy this year.  I love how festive it looks. And I have so many more options for it in this house.  It's been really fun decorating in a new space.

I love having a son who helps me out.  Trying to train a little gentleman.  Here he is carting my stuff in from the car.



My first year trying paper-whites.  Man, you can practically watch these guys grow.  Can't wait until they bloom.

The hubster tackled the outside lights on Thanksgiving weekend. I tried not to watch.  Especially when he set up the ladder on top of his jeep to reach the highest peak.  Yes, really. 

My contribution was the little trees and some of the windows, lit from the inside. 

And  a few lights in each of the kids room is a major hit.

Decor is up and Christmas activities and outings have begun.  Up first was the Santa Parade.  Last year Carson's cub scout troop had an entry and this year Addy's first grade class had one.  It was freezing but not raining! I was glad Addy was the 7th entry in the parade, because we bailed after about an hour to warm up. 

I was more prepared this year for this parade in the dark.  The kids loved the battery operated strands of Christmas lights that I wrapped around their coats.




And this week we made a batch of Christmas sugar cookies.  I really should do this more.  They love it.

Don't know why this was so exciting.   Ry could have rolled and cut out shapes all day.



The kids are trying to be on their best behavior for Charlie (our Shelf Elf) that is watching them every day.  We're getting through our Christmas book collection, listening to Christmas music, and watching our favorite Christmas movies.   We can't do as much 'stuff' as we have done in the past.  It's just too hard with all 4 kids, so we are enjoying just being snuggled up at home. And really that's the best part.  I love everything about being home for Christmas. My favorite Christmas memories as a kid all happened in our own home. And I want that for my kiddos too. 

As for shopping, I am mostly done.  Just a few things here and there.  I am not a big fan of Christmas lists. I don't want anything in written format handed to me by my kids of what they want me and Santa to buy them.  Nope. Not happening.  Instead I take mental notes of the one item that keeps coming up when we talk about Santa (and they can write Santa asking for that one thing).  And then we try our best to make it a nice Christmas without our kids feeling entitled to certain presents because they asked for it.  Anyone with me here? Online shopping has been my friend this year more than ever before.  I'm a believer.

Hope the season is merry so far for each of you!


5 comments:

Marissa 2:04 AM  

I'm not very good at posting comments but I must say that I love reading your blog and my heart stops every time I see a picture of little Rylan. He is adorable (of course they are all gorgeous)! His smile and the genuine happiness that beams from his eyes just about melts my heart every time. I love it! He really is something special. Probably because he has such great parents.....

Tyler 10:22 AM  

The house looks amazing, and it looks like you guys are having so much fun! Wish I could see you guys over the holidays!

Three Lads and a Lis 12:58 PM  

ditto on the Christmas lists, we did them growing up but we let our kids (well, only our oldest cares right now) ask Santa for one reasonable gift, the rest is as we please, I hope we can keep it this way forever.

Your house decor is lovely.

Kris and Cath 8:50 PM  

I cannot wait to have a home and decorate for Christmas! Everything looks great chelle:)

Carmen Goetschius 8:37 AM  

Fabulous!!! Everything looks beautiful! Merry Christmas to you!!!!!

Email Me

Blog Archive

Our {business}

Why I {Blog}

My little blog is a family journal. I include things on here I want to remember years and years from now. So when I post a zillion pictures...it is because I want to have it for my posterity. So please forgive the often posted-picture overload.

Currently I am trying to focus on my photography skills...reading, reading, reading, and taking pictures when I can. Then edit, read, read, read some more. I finally feel like I have a basic understanding of exposure...hooray! I updated my blog template so I can display larger photos because...aren't pictures better than anything I have to say anyway?

More about me here.

Looking For Something?

Avoiding {Illiteracy}

  • Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis
  • The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
  • Persuasion by Jane Austen
  • Chocolat by Joanne Harris
  • The Squires Tale by Gerald Morris
  • David Copperfield by Charles Dickens
  • Watership Down by Richard Adams
  • Crossing to Safety by Wallace Stegner
  • The Color of Water by James McBride
  • I Am a Mother by Jane Clayson Johnson
  • Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
  • The Tempest by William Shakespeare
  • The Witch of Blackbird Pond & The Bronze Bow by Elizabeth George Speare
  • Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky
  • Twilight by Stephenie Meyer
  • Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
  • Freakonomics by Steven Levitt & Stephen Dubner
  • Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling
  • Undaunted Courage by Stephen E. Ambrose
  • Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes