Thursday, December 08, 2011

{Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree}

We got our Christmas tree a week earlier than usual.  We jumped at the chance to head to our favorite tree farm the day after Thanksgiving because the sun was shining!  My sister and I had been busy Black Friday shopping and then tagged the guys out for their turn. By the time they got back we were racing the sunset. 
As luck would have it, our favorite spot was already closed.  Thankfully an employee directed us down the road to their sister farm that has more lights for the evenings.  It worked out great!  And we were all relieved not to disappoint two cars full of kids.

 Trying to snap a few shots before the sun was down.






By the time the tractor hauled our tree back to the entrance it was dark.  The crew was so nice and kept the train open until our kids had a chance to ride.  The other tree farm has a train ride too...and the experience of finding your tree wouldn't be the same without it! The kids loved it!  A little prep for our Polar Express Ride coming up this weekend.






We got the tree up and in the house that night.  It is by far the tallest tree we have ever cut (about 9 and half feet). We love the tree farm that charges for the type of tree and not the height.  And with a ceiling height to support it, we figured go big or go home!
And then it took me a couple days to start on the lights.  Since the tree is visible almost all the way around, it took forever...about 3 hours.  And a ladder too.  And about 22 stands of lights.  Love those sparkly twinkle lights!

This little guy was pretty entertained.

And Ry was completely adorable decorating the tree. He loved it.  The hooks, the ornaments, the step ladder.  He spent a couple hours fixing everything just right and only a few of the glass balls broken along the way.

I love our collection of ornaments.  I love reminiscing about vacation ornaments from years ago, the kids' 'first christmas' ornaments, their hand-made ones from school or church, and their yearly ornaments that describe something about them that year.  And my childhood ornaments too.  A Christmas tree is a pretty good family history. 


And here are the new ornaments for 2011.  Love Target's blown glass ornaments this year.  And the baby shoes from Macy's (thanks Reese for picking those up!).

Hammer (Trev), Baby Shoes (Miles), Pink Soccer (Addy)

Blue Soccer (Carson), Camera (Rochelle), Woody (Rylan).

 Trying to get a shot in front of the tree is nearly impossible, but we still tried.


 And the finished product.  It makes the whole house feel so cozy!

And I love Christmas light bokeh. 

What else are you going to do at 1am when a baby is happy and wide awake?  Take pictures.



 

5 comments:

Becca, Bryce, T, C, and J 12:10 PM  

I LOVE it! Can't wait to see it! For some reason I can't tell where it's located - I guess I'll find out later!

Rachelle 1:13 PM  

Those last few shots of Miles are so cute, what a beautiful baby he is. I love your tree, one of these days we'll have to "go big, or go home":)

Erica 3:06 PM  

The tree is beautiful!! I love it - great tradition

the Holyoaks 11:24 PM  

Your tree is so pretty! And those shots of your four kids in front of it are perfect!

Reese 2:33 PM  

You have awesome bokeh! It looks great. Love all the new ornaments!!!

Email Me

Blog Archive

Our {business}

Why I {Blog}

My little blog is a family journal. I include things on here I want to remember years and years from now. So when I post a zillion pictures...it is because I want to have it for my posterity. So please forgive the often posted-picture overload.

Currently I am trying to focus on my photography skills...reading, reading, reading, and taking pictures when I can. Then edit, read, read, read some more. I finally feel like I have a basic understanding of exposure...hooray! I updated my blog template so I can display larger photos because...aren't pictures better than anything I have to say anyway?

More about me here.

Looking For Something?

Avoiding {Illiteracy}

  • Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis
  • The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
  • Persuasion by Jane Austen
  • Chocolat by Joanne Harris
  • The Squires Tale by Gerald Morris
  • David Copperfield by Charles Dickens
  • Watership Down by Richard Adams
  • Crossing to Safety by Wallace Stegner
  • The Color of Water by James McBride
  • I Am a Mother by Jane Clayson Johnson
  • Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
  • The Tempest by William Shakespeare
  • The Witch of Blackbird Pond & The Bronze Bow by Elizabeth George Speare
  • Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky
  • Twilight by Stephenie Meyer
  • Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
  • Freakonomics by Steven Levitt & Stephen Dubner
  • Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling
  • Undaunted Courage by Stephen E. Ambrose
  • Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes