Thursday, April 12, 2012

{House-iversary}

Maybe that is too tricky of a title, get it, house anniversary?  Anyhow, yep, 1 whole year in our new place.  I had big plans to have a anniversary dinner with the kids...but it just didn't happen so this blog post will have to suffice.  The last year in most ways seems like it went by in lightning speed.  I look back and wonder how in the world did we buy and sell a house in 4 weeks, pack up and move our life of 7 years one mile down the road, while I was 8 months pregnant, during tax season, and during the investment and ramp up of physical therapy clinic #2.
And then the scramble to get the house in working order before a baby arrives, enrolling in new schools and helping set up new kids rooms so it feels like home even though their worlds were flipped upside down.  Attempt to meet new people at church while huge and prego.  And then deliver a baby and deal with colic and acid reflux, which was awful for 6 months and has slowly but surely improved. 
It's strange looking back because I really feel like we have overcome a lot of struggle, but while going through it I was really able to keep myself from feeling sorry for myself.  Sure I didn't get much decorating or anything much done to the house in the last year, but that didn't burden me either.  I am overwhelmingly grateful for a house that was move-in ready with no major projects required, but I am just now starting to feel like I have the time and desire to tackle some rooms and projects.  It's taken that year, and I really credit my family for keeping tabs on me, a husband who supports me, and a loving Heavenly Father who truly knows my struggles and lifts my spirits and gives me strength to overcome whatever obstacles I face. 
And don't get me wrong, moving to this new home was what we wanted!  It was and is a huge, ginormous blessing.  I love it.  I still love it.  I still wake up and pinch myself that we get to live in a place that feels so much like home.   It's some of the small things that I love the most like the additional light switch next to our bed so you don't have to get up to turn on the light (genius), the toy storage all contained in one room and out of all the bedrooms, the central vac with a kick plate to sweep into in the kitchen, the oval window in the den and the natural light in the master bathroom, the lilac trees, an undermount kitchen sink, the molding and doors. But, it's also a 10 year old house with 10 year old problems including aging appliances and a few dated items including iron 'grape clusters' as knobs on the kitchen cabinets!  And being next to a green belt brought our first dead critter in the crawl space (oh my gosh ,  I was dying. d.y.i.n.g....even if it was just a mouse).  But it has been and continues to be fun to make the home ours while doing some updating here and there.  We've now spent all the holidays and experienced all the seasons here.  We have a little history in this home now.  My mind is now spinning with ideas to re-do the den and half bath.  And start the project of touching up the baseboards and other molding in need of a fresh coat of paint.  I'm feeling rejuvenated a bit, finally.  But mostly, grateful.  Grateful for the blessing that the last year has been.  Grateful for the memories and for the memories to come. 




2 comments:

Kris and Cath 7:38 AM  

So exciting! I cannot believe a year has already passed:) I love the home, it is beautiful! Miss you and your fam chelle:)

Hilary 6:52 PM  

How is it a year already? I remember this gave me a lot of faith that our own situation would work out.

And low how amazing we both are now? :)

Email Me

Blog Archive

Our {business}

Why I {Blog}

My little blog is a family journal. I include things on here I want to remember years and years from now. So when I post a zillion pictures...it is because I want to have it for my posterity. So please forgive the often posted-picture overload.

Currently I am trying to focus on my photography skills...reading, reading, reading, and taking pictures when I can. Then edit, read, read, read some more. I finally feel like I have a basic understanding of exposure...hooray! I updated my blog template so I can display larger photos because...aren't pictures better than anything I have to say anyway?

More about me here.

Looking For Something?

Avoiding {Illiteracy}

  • Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis
  • The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
  • Persuasion by Jane Austen
  • Chocolat by Joanne Harris
  • The Squires Tale by Gerald Morris
  • David Copperfield by Charles Dickens
  • Watership Down by Richard Adams
  • Crossing to Safety by Wallace Stegner
  • The Color of Water by James McBride
  • I Am a Mother by Jane Clayson Johnson
  • Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
  • The Tempest by William Shakespeare
  • The Witch of Blackbird Pond & The Bronze Bow by Elizabeth George Speare
  • Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky
  • Twilight by Stephenie Meyer
  • Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
  • Freakonomics by Steven Levitt & Stephen Dubner
  • Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling
  • Undaunted Courage by Stephen E. Ambrose
  • Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes