I don't think you ever grow and change as much as you do from birth to age 1.
It is simply incredible that you go from this:
In one year's time.
Happy Birthday Miles!
I absolutely love age 1. He's still my sweet, napping, babbling baby you can give a thousand kisses to a day. And yet so full of personality. Learning something new each day. We all dote on him and adore him. We love talking to him in our best baby talk as soon as he comes into the room or wakes up from a nap. We love having a baby in the house!
I re-watched the birth video I created back here. And I'm in awe at how we have been blessed. Our sweet little Miles is still such a miracle to me. A healthy, happy, miracle.
I never wished the newborn stage away. Even through the sleepless nights and colic and acid reflux struggles. It's such a precious time that seems to go by in an instant when you look back a year later. I find myself staring at him in his crib, snuggling him closer, hanging onto nursing in the mornings while he's tucked into bed with us, and breathing in his baby smell. I'm trying to stall the inevitable of him growing up into a toddler. So for now, I am trying to soak in every ounce of baby left in him.
1 Year Old Stats
Weight: 21 pounds 11 ounces (25%)
Height: 30.25 inches (60%)
Head: 18 inches (25%)
What I love about him right now:
- He is such a talker! He babbles non-stop. I love his consonant blends and general baby talk that feels almost like whole sentences of non-sense.
- His favorite word "uh-oh" gets spoken 3 dozen times a day. Along with "da-da" (still no ma-ma) and "s'that"...which is his version of "what's that?" He says this all the time as we read stories, play with toys, or when he notices a new object like a ceiling fan or light. He is so curious and excited about the simplest things.
- He loves to point. His little finger is about the cutest thing ever. And he loves to clap and play patty cake too.
- He is SUCH a good sleeper. He will still take 3+ hour nap and naps at least 2 times a day. Goes to bed at 9pm and will sleep until 9am (with an early morning (6am-ish) time to nurse). He goes down without a fuss. Loves his bed and snuggles his face into his favorite blankie.
- He is a binkie boy. So glad he takes it so well because it comes in handy when he gets loud.
- He loves being outside. Our outside doors have a 'beep beep' when they open and Miles will dart for the door in hopes to escape if he hears someone coming or going.
- He loves little cars and trucks and will push them around the floor and is enjoying really playing with them now.
- He loves and knows all of us. He especially loves Mom, Dad, and Carson.
- He eats like a champ. Loves new foods and pounds more at meals than Rylan. He eats an entire PPJ for lunch (crust included) plus fruit plus crackers plus milk. The kid loves to eat.
- He loves bath time...whether it is a shower or tub...he loves the water and is pretty hyper and excited about it!
- He grew out of acid reflux around 11 months. It almost stopped overnight. At his 9 month check up I was pulling my hair out with spit up all over the place. And now, totally gone. So grateful.
- He took his first steps a few days after his birthday! But he still prefers crawling. He is so fast! He bear crawls on all fours keeping his knees off of our mostly-tile floors in the downstairs. It's crazy to watch, but he has totally adapted to his surroundings.
He makes me a little crazy:
- Trying to change his diaper or clothes. He puts up the biggest fight anytime he needs a diaper change or to get clothes on and off. I'm not a stranger to diaper changes, but Miles make it impossible for even a pro like me. Often times I need one of the kids or Trevor to hold his arms or body in place because he will squirm with all this strength to resist holding still.
- With his annoying scream. It's the "I want something" scream. It's rather ear piercing. Not sure what to do about that. We are working on some sign language and he understands and will sign "more" and "Please", but he still screams too.
- Climbing the stairs. He refuses to learn how to go down, so I am constantly worried about a tumble.
We love this little guy to pieces. And are still so much enjoying the baby stage that comes with him even though it means sacrifices here and there with schedules and activities. It's so worth it.
His 1 year old 'Very Hungry Caterpillar' party coming up next!