Sunday, May 13, 2012

{Spring Fair}

Carson had the unfortunate lucky opportunity to participate in the district science fair.  He was one of 15 winners from his school to move onto the district level.  It is one of those things that you almost wish they wouldn't win....because it was a 2 day commitment over the weekend.  Not to mention the prep time involved in preparing his presentation to the judges (working on maintaining eye contact, not using the word "um", actually know his experiment backwards and forwards, etc.).  He was stoked about it, so we all put on a happy-congratulations-you are awesome face! 



The judging happened to be on a weekend when Trevor was busy with the Scouts at church, so I had to actually hire a babysitter for the other 3 kids so I could head down to the Puyallup fair grounds for the district science fair. He had to be there for 3 hours sitting in front of his display.  He became great friends with the neighboring kids and really enjoyed it.  He got an honorable mention award the next day.  Super proud of him!  He did great.




The district science fair is on the Puyallup fair grounds and is during the Spring fair.  The big state fair is in the fall, but they open the grounds in the Spring for a few days.  It is less crowded in the spring and parking is free.  I've never been a big fan of the Puyallup fair (I know...gasp!  people from around here have been going since they were kids, but it just seems over priced, dingy, with incredibly poor customer service...I swear some of the ride operators were actually on something!)  The kids begged to go.  And since Carson I got in for free and Trevor finished up with the Scouts early, we rounded up a few extra discount tickets and headed to the money-suck fair grounds on a sunny Saturday. 



When you compare it to Disneyland, you are in for a big let down.  But the kids don't seem to notice that they didn't quite fit in with most of the fair goers who don't see a need for basic clothing, have large and in charge tattoos, dislike bras, and will spend their life savings to win a life size stuffed bear...but hey, we actually had a good time. (Ok, so it is not THAT bad, but close). 



We split up, and I took the bigger kids and Trevor took the little boys to conquer a few rides.
 






And then we visited the animal exhibits which I would have liked to spend more time at, but the kids were getting tired and ornery by then.  But it was hard to pull Rylan away from this donkey. He loves animals and has no fear. 




And of course fair food is fantastic. I got my fav, a caramel apple.  Ry loved his ice cream cone and became a complete sticky disaster. 

And the 'Slushie Station' was a hit as was the fresh cotton candy.  Yum!

All in all, fun day.  We love the sun in the spring time, so it was the perfect year to hit the fair.   
But, I figure we are good for a few years now. 


2 comments:

Kris and Cath 7:32 AM  

This looks like so much fun! It is hard to believe you have four little(big) ones running around! You are one busy momma and always have the cutest ideas!

Tyler 5:18 AM  

Looks like it was a lot of fun!

Email Me

Blog Archive

Our {business}

Why I {Blog}

My little blog is a family journal. I include things on here I want to remember years and years from now. So when I post a zillion pictures...it is because I want to have it for my posterity. So please forgive the often posted-picture overload.

Currently I am trying to focus on my photography skills...reading, reading, reading, and taking pictures when I can. Then edit, read, read, read some more. I finally feel like I have a basic understanding of exposure...hooray! I updated my blog template so I can display larger photos because...aren't pictures better than anything I have to say anyway?

More about me here.

Looking For Something?

Avoiding {Illiteracy}

  • Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis
  • The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
  • Persuasion by Jane Austen
  • Chocolat by Joanne Harris
  • The Squires Tale by Gerald Morris
  • David Copperfield by Charles Dickens
  • Watership Down by Richard Adams
  • Crossing to Safety by Wallace Stegner
  • The Color of Water by James McBride
  • I Am a Mother by Jane Clayson Johnson
  • Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
  • The Tempest by William Shakespeare
  • The Witch of Blackbird Pond & The Bronze Bow by Elizabeth George Speare
  • Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky
  • Twilight by Stephenie Meyer
  • Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
  • Freakonomics by Steven Levitt & Stephen Dubner
  • Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling
  • Undaunted Courage by Stephen E. Ambrose
  • Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes