Monday, July 09, 2012

{Alder Lake Camping}

Oh man, the summer is always a crazy activity season, and I need to get pictures posted up before I get too far behind!  

A week before school got out we headed to one of our favorite camping spots, Alder Lake.  We love it because we can get from our driveway to the campground in less than an hour.  It's beautiful and smells lovely.  The kids thought it was Christmas when we pulled the trailer out of storage to get it ready for the trip.  Nothing like cramming 6 people into a 22 foot trailer!  My friend says camping is just people pretending to be homeless.  It's kinda true, right? 

I love how it stays light until 10pm during June.  We rolled into the campground at 8pm with plenty of light and time to set up camp and roast some marshmallows and hot dogs. 

So glad I stuck in the pack 'n play at the last minute.  This little guy is walking everywhere and it really helped keep him contained while still having him outside with us.  Plus we even managed to set that up in the trailer so that he could have his own bed (the kid LOVES his own bed and it is hard to get him to sleep any place else).  He's attached to that and his favorite blankie.



The next day was full of sunshine in the morning. We busted out the little bicycle and put the training wheels on for Rylan. He loves his scooter and hasn't been interested in riding a bike at all, but we finally got him to try it this trip and he's a pro already. 

We worked our way over to the beach area which has a nice playground.

It was only about 70 degrees, so I didn't have the kids put on their swimsuits. I figured they would just play in the sand...which turned out to be an epic failed assumption. I should have known that kids near water, cold or not, are going to get wet.  And they did.


It was a little tough trying to keep the sand out of Miles' mouth, but he loved playing with the big kids.  See Ry in the picture below stripped down to his undies?  Yah, I was THAT mom. 

Our good friends, the Bennetts, met us at the lake around lunch.  We visited and ate yummy homemade guacamole. 

Carson spent an hour filling water balloons which resulted in a major water fight that the kids loved.


We convinced the Bennetts to head back for their tent so they could spend the night and Sunday morning with us.  While they were gone it started to rain and didn't stop until we left the campgrond on Monday.  We haven't ever camped in rain. I know, kind of hard to believe, but we have really lucked out, weather-wise.  That 18 hours of rain made for an equal amount of clean up once we got home.  Everything was muddy and soaked.  We made the best of it though and were grateful for the Bennett's canopy and tarp. That along with the trailer awning gave us a place to be dry and still able to enjoy the fire. 


Camping prep is always a ton of work, but it is one of our kids' favorite things to do.  It's worth all the chaos and clean-up to carve out these little family experiences.  We have a couple more fun camping trips planned this summer.  Can't wait!

0 comments:

Email Me

Blog Archive

Our {business}

Why I {Blog}

My little blog is a family journal. I include things on here I want to remember years and years from now. So when I post a zillion pictures...it is because I want to have it for my posterity. So please forgive the often posted-picture overload.

Currently I am trying to focus on my photography skills...reading, reading, reading, and taking pictures when I can. Then edit, read, read, read some more. I finally feel like I have a basic understanding of exposure...hooray! I updated my blog template so I can display larger photos because...aren't pictures better than anything I have to say anyway?

More about me here.

Looking For Something?

Avoiding {Illiteracy}

  • Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis
  • The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
  • Persuasion by Jane Austen
  • Chocolat by Joanne Harris
  • The Squires Tale by Gerald Morris
  • David Copperfield by Charles Dickens
  • Watership Down by Richard Adams
  • Crossing to Safety by Wallace Stegner
  • The Color of Water by James McBride
  • I Am a Mother by Jane Clayson Johnson
  • Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
  • The Tempest by William Shakespeare
  • The Witch of Blackbird Pond & The Bronze Bow by Elizabeth George Speare
  • Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky
  • Twilight by Stephenie Meyer
  • Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
  • Freakonomics by Steven Levitt & Stephen Dubner
  • Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling
  • Undaunted Courage by Stephen E. Ambrose
  • Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes