Sunday, September 30, 2012

{Back to School 2012}

We went to the Ape Caves on Monday and then had one day for our final prep before school started on Wednesday.  Tuesday was insane.  Too many events collided...including:
 
1.  Our anniversary
2.  Rylan's birthday (yes, on our anniversary)
3.  Back to School dinner
 
And then throw in soccer practices...ugh. Those kept us out until 7pm so it was a race to fit everything in that evening.  It was just a long day.  Of course our anniversary got bumped, and we celebrated the next weekend.  Rylan was having a birthday party on Saturday, but I couldn't just let his birthday pass by with nothing.  That's the problem when you have a birthday party on a different day then their actual birthday. I made a cake and called that part good. 
 
And then our traditional back to school dinner.  It's a fun tradition. Addy helped me with the table.  It was a gorgeous day, so we opted for dinner outside on the deck.   We had to set it up and get dinner partially ready before heading out for soccer.  Again, crazy. 
 
The table decor was all their school supply stuff that was headed to school the next morning!  The only thing I bought were the cute apple cut outs from the dollar section.  It was simple to do and the kids absolutely loved it. It definitely heightened all the first day of school excitement! Carson got to pick the meal this year and he choose spaghetti.  Fancy, right?
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
The next morning was a rude awakening for my kids who are used to sleeping in until 9am (yes, I have kids that love to sleep in, and I love it). Thankfully the excitement was enough for the sleepiness to pass quickly.  
 
Carson is one good lookin' 5th grader.
 And this sweetie pie is in 2nd grade. 
 
These two are walking buddies.  So glad they have each other at school.  They really look out for one another and were so happy to find out 2nd and 5th graders have the same recess. They played together on the first day of school. How cute is that?
 
I bribed them with fresh cookies when they got home as long as they would tell me all about their day.   They both love their teachers (seriously scored on that, so blessed) and couldn't wait to go back the next day. That's a good thing!
 
 Thankfully, Preschool started a week after Elementary school.  Rylan was beyond excited.  With a September birthday, he just misses the deadline, so this will be the first of 2 years of preschool. He was SO ready to have his own activity away from home.  He absolutely loved it.  How can you not when the first week of school was working on the letter P and included (Popcorn day, Pirate Day (treasure maps and hats), and Pajama Day (pancakes and strawberry breakfast at school). His preschool teacher is awesome.  She puts so much effort into each day, and Rylan just eats it up. 
 
 
 
 
 We survived that first week of chaos; the reams of paperwork that come home and the organization and homework schedule that follows.  It's  been a difficult adjustment from our easy-going summer, but a schedule feels good sometimes. Just not on Tuesdays/Thursdays when I am in the car from 3:30 to 7pm. Mom's taxi service has started once again. 

3 comments:

rick and cheryl 7:04 AM  

I love how creative you are with everything, Rochelle. Cute kiddos, as always.

Kris and Cath 7:58 AM  

Busy mom! You do such a great job:)

Matt and Dani 10:43 PM  

Your kids are darling! That Rylan is just Precious!!! His smile is priceless

Email Me

Blog Archive

Our {business}

Why I {Blog}

My little blog is a family journal. I include things on here I want to remember years and years from now. So when I post a zillion pictures...it is because I want to have it for my posterity. So please forgive the often posted-picture overload.

Currently I am trying to focus on my photography skills...reading, reading, reading, and taking pictures when I can. Then edit, read, read, read some more. I finally feel like I have a basic understanding of exposure...hooray! I updated my blog template so I can display larger photos because...aren't pictures better than anything I have to say anyway?

More about me here.

Looking For Something?

Avoiding {Illiteracy}

  • Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis
  • The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
  • Persuasion by Jane Austen
  • Chocolat by Joanne Harris
  • The Squires Tale by Gerald Morris
  • David Copperfield by Charles Dickens
  • Watership Down by Richard Adams
  • Crossing to Safety by Wallace Stegner
  • The Color of Water by James McBride
  • I Am a Mother by Jane Clayson Johnson
  • Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
  • The Tempest by William Shakespeare
  • The Witch of Blackbird Pond & The Bronze Bow by Elizabeth George Speare
  • Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky
  • Twilight by Stephenie Meyer
  • Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
  • Freakonomics by Steven Levitt & Stephen Dubner
  • Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling
  • Undaunted Courage by Stephen E. Ambrose
  • Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes