Monday, September 24, 2012

{Mt. Rainier_Peak Wildflower Season}

Around the 3rd week of August, I read in the paper that the wildflowers were in peak season on Mt. Rainier.  So after church that next Sunday, we quickly changed, packed a picnic dinner, and drove up to take in the beauty.  It's about an hour to the entrance to the park and then another 30-40 minutes up to Paradise, the well-deserved name of this place:
 
 
We haven't been up to this spot as a family since we were just a family of 4 with these two sweet babies:
Where oh where does the time go? 
That was early August, a tad early for all the flowers to be in bloom, but I remember it being so beautiful.
 
And since then, Trevor and I have been up there at separate times with the youth of our church, and we've been sledding in the winter a few times.  But, yah, the summer wild flower season is the best.  Simply glorious.
 
Man I was glad I dragged the big camera around.  We saw a ton of professional photographers lugging huge tripods and camera equipment over their shoulders to capture the amazing scenery.
We left Puyallup with overcast and gray skies, and as we drove up to this spot, we were above the clouds and were completely overdressed. It was gorgeous and warm! 

We popped into the visitor's center to speak to a park ranger about where best to see the flowers (pretty much can't go wrong on any trail) and also to get a recommendation of a easy, kid-friendly hike.  We ended up walking about 3 miles over a couple different trails.   It seriously was one of the prettiest places I have ever witnessed in my entire life.  And it's an hour and half from where we live. As we walked, and laughed (kids all in good moods, thankfully), I added that day to my memory bank of life's greatest moments. So blessed.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Sometimes trying to get shot of my munchkins just doesn't turn out. 
 
 
I did better with my phone:
 

So, for future reference...the 2nd/3rd week of August (barring any strange summer weather) is pretty much heaven on earth on Mt. Rainier.  Visitors welcome.  We hope to make it an annual Sunday afternoon trek every year.

3 comments:

Kris and Cath 7:48 AM  

Oh my goodness, these are gorgeous:) I cannot believe that is ADDY in that picture?? Oh my gosh! Time flies.

Carmen Goetschius 10:39 AM  

cutest fam ever

the Holyoaks 1:53 PM  

Wow, it's so pretty up there! I had no idea. We'll have to try and check it out next year. The pictures you took of the kids turned out so great! Even the ones where they're being silly.

Email Me

Blog Archive

Our {business}

Why I {Blog}

My little blog is a family journal. I include things on here I want to remember years and years from now. So when I post a zillion pictures...it is because I want to have it for my posterity. So please forgive the often posted-picture overload.

Currently I am trying to focus on my photography skills...reading, reading, reading, and taking pictures when I can. Then edit, read, read, read some more. I finally feel like I have a basic understanding of exposure...hooray! I updated my blog template so I can display larger photos because...aren't pictures better than anything I have to say anyway?

More about me here.

Looking For Something?

Avoiding {Illiteracy}

  • Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis
  • The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
  • Persuasion by Jane Austen
  • Chocolat by Joanne Harris
  • The Squires Tale by Gerald Morris
  • David Copperfield by Charles Dickens
  • Watership Down by Richard Adams
  • Crossing to Safety by Wallace Stegner
  • The Color of Water by James McBride
  • I Am a Mother by Jane Clayson Johnson
  • Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
  • The Tempest by William Shakespeare
  • The Witch of Blackbird Pond & The Bronze Bow by Elizabeth George Speare
  • Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky
  • Twilight by Stephenie Meyer
  • Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
  • Freakonomics by Steven Levitt & Stephen Dubner
  • Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling
  • Undaunted Courage by Stephen E. Ambrose
  • Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes