Thursday, November 08, 2012

{Fall in Pine Valley}

We had the best time while we were in Utah for the marathon.  It was a beautiful time of year at my parent's home in Pine Valley.  Even though we were there just a couple months prior for our big reunion in July, it was so nice to be there in the 'off' season.  It was much quieter (if you can imagine that in an already very rural town!), the leaves were changing,  and the sun still baked you while sitting on the deck.  The kids never tire of the place, and I enjoyed the slower pace and a chance to leave our fall crazy school/activities routine. 
 
My mom treated us to tickets to Tuacahn.  In  all these years traveling to Southern Utah...I had never been before!  I was thinking low-budget community theater, but I was so wrong.  The show was fantastic...very high budget in fact and could rally any touring Broadway company.  The theater is outdoors and backs right into the canyon making it the perfect backdrop for the stage.  We saw Aladdin. In the first scene they had camels!  Like the real deal-io camels!  Plus ziplines, a 3D portion, major special effects, and fireworks!  The kids totally ate it up. I was nervous about bringing Rylan, but he loved it! He's a loud talker, and he couldn't keep his excitement to himself: "Look at that, mom!" and  "Where's the crystal?" (i.e. lamp...don't know why he thought it was a crystal, but we died laughing every time he said it).  Such a fun night with grandma, mom, and cousins!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
  We waited in line after the show to greet the actors.
 
 
 
 
Other than the show and the marathon, we stayed pretty close to home. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 These two had a great time together and are becoming fast friends. 
 
We got to visit my Grandma who was home from staying with Grandpa in the hospital for a couple days. Rylan loves their dog, Sammy.
 
We spent an afternoon digging through boxes trying to find a 4 inch by 6 inch piece of paper: my grandpa's military discharge papers.  They needed it to claim some medical veterans benefits. We found it in a random box...it was a miracle!
 And then me, my dad, and Addison drove down to Las Vegas to see him! He was MUCH improved from seeing him shortly after the stroke when he was still in the coma.  He was talking, moving, and enjoying the visitors.  A couple days after we visited, he got moved to a skilled nursing facility in St. George....which is so great for everyone, especially my grandma.  It's been wonderful to see that the Grandpa I know is still in there, sharp as a tack.  Now to just get his body back.  It's a slow process, but he's improving each day.
 
I hated to leave the "valley of the pines"...knowing we were headed back to the craziness of life.  But, it was a nice reprieve in the middle of it all.  And we always just adore the time we get to spend with my parents. 
 

2 comments:

Kris and Cath 7:38 AM  

This place looks magical! I could use a good week there with my second parents):)

Camille 2:19 PM  

OH man, this gets me so excited to go in just a few weeks! It will all be covered in snow hopefully! What an awesome trip. PV is nothing but magical and you can tell the kids just love it!

Email Me

Blog Archive

Our {business}

Why I {Blog}

My little blog is a family journal. I include things on here I want to remember years and years from now. So when I post a zillion pictures...it is because I want to have it for my posterity. So please forgive the often posted-picture overload.

Currently I am trying to focus on my photography skills...reading, reading, reading, and taking pictures when I can. Then edit, read, read, read some more. I finally feel like I have a basic understanding of exposure...hooray! I updated my blog template so I can display larger photos because...aren't pictures better than anything I have to say anyway?

More about me here.

Looking For Something?

Avoiding {Illiteracy}

  • Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis
  • The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
  • Persuasion by Jane Austen
  • Chocolat by Joanne Harris
  • The Squires Tale by Gerald Morris
  • David Copperfield by Charles Dickens
  • Watership Down by Richard Adams
  • Crossing to Safety by Wallace Stegner
  • The Color of Water by James McBride
  • I Am a Mother by Jane Clayson Johnson
  • Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
  • The Tempest by William Shakespeare
  • The Witch of Blackbird Pond & The Bronze Bow by Elizabeth George Speare
  • Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky
  • Twilight by Stephenie Meyer
  • Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
  • Freakonomics by Steven Levitt & Stephen Dubner
  • Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling
  • Undaunted Courage by Stephen E. Ambrose
  • Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes