Monday, December 24, 2012

{Christmas Eve}

I love Christmas Eve.  It's the culmination of the whole season...the anticipation, the excitement, and the sweet, tender spirit of remembering the Savior's birth.  All of it.  Love, love, love.  

Uncle Tyler came for all the festivities, so we picked him up from the very crowded airport on Christmas Eve  morning.  Trevor had a few patients in the morning (can't wrap my brain around the fact that people want physical therapy treatment ON Christmas Eve), so we used out time downtown to visit the Sheraton hotel with the huge display of amazing gingerbread houses.  The line was long (an hour!), but the kids were good and had a blast with Uncle Tyler.  And the gingerbread houses did not disappoint.  Totally amazing creations.  




We grabbed a quick lunch and headed back to the house for all our fun Christmas Eve festivities.  It was a slow paced afternoon/evening with plenty of time to do everything we had planned.  (In stark contrast to the craziness of the previous 3 weeks!)

We made a huge batch of sugar cookies, with plenty to leave out for Santa.



And shortly before dinner, Grandma Judy and Grandpa Chuck arrived.  The kids were so excited!  We ate our traditional take-out Chinese food.  (I can't bring myself to cook a big meal on both Christmas Eve and Christmas).  It was delish!

We watched a couple of our favorite Christmas movies while Carson created a great program for the evening.


The kids preformed a couple Christmas songs on the piano that they have been working on for a few weeks.  And I even pulled out my favorite Christmas book to play 'O Holy Night'...my fave Christmas song.





We acted out the nativity and watched a couple of the new church videos on the Savior's birth.  They make you cry they are so powerful.  And the (older) kids were quiet and reverent too.  Tiny testimonies with heartfelt moments feeling the spirit.  So amazing to see that in your own kiddos.    



New Christmas PJs all around.



And then we read a couple Christmas stories finishing up with 'Twas the Night Before Christmas' read by Addison. (Can you tell she was just a little excited to read it to everyone?) 

The kids couldn't wait to jump into bed!  (The only day of the year they are actually excited to fall asleep).  A couple of Santa's elves were busy until 3 am working on something great for Christmas Day.  So it ended up being a late night!

Christmas Eve is the best.  It was quiet, stress-free, and peaceful (amazing with 4 kids, right?).  I so enjoyed being with our sweet family and participating in our traditions while focusing the night on the true meaning of Christmas.  Our faith in His gospel brings our family more happiness and joy than I ever thought possible. It's miraculous and beautiful. I am so grateful.


1 comments:

Kris and Cath 8:04 AM  

Your kids are SO adorable! look at all of those smiles! looks like a great night:)

Email Me

Blog Archive

Our {business}

Why I {Blog}

My little blog is a family journal. I include things on here I want to remember years and years from now. So when I post a zillion pictures...it is because I want to have it for my posterity. So please forgive the often posted-picture overload.

Currently I am trying to focus on my photography skills...reading, reading, reading, and taking pictures when I can. Then edit, read, read, read some more. I finally feel like I have a basic understanding of exposure...hooray! I updated my blog template so I can display larger photos because...aren't pictures better than anything I have to say anyway?

More about me here.

Looking For Something?

Avoiding {Illiteracy}

  • Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis
  • The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
  • Persuasion by Jane Austen
  • Chocolat by Joanne Harris
  • The Squires Tale by Gerald Morris
  • David Copperfield by Charles Dickens
  • Watership Down by Richard Adams
  • Crossing to Safety by Wallace Stegner
  • The Color of Water by James McBride
  • I Am a Mother by Jane Clayson Johnson
  • Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
  • The Tempest by William Shakespeare
  • The Witch of Blackbird Pond & The Bronze Bow by Elizabeth George Speare
  • Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky
  • Twilight by Stephenie Meyer
  • Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
  • Freakonomics by Steven Levitt & Stephen Dubner
  • Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling
  • Undaunted Courage by Stephen E. Ambrose
  • Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes