Monday, December 03, 2012

{Pettingill Family Christmas Tree 2012}







It poured and poured rain on Black Friday preventing us from getting our tree.  But the next day was dry and clear. Yay!  I really wanted to get our tree on Thanksgiving weekend...especially because Thanksgiving was so early this year.  That meant the tree would be up for almost 6 weeks.  Love that!  

Without any hesitation, we headed to our favorite tree farm in Orting, WA; the Red Barn.  We love it.  The train ride, the selection, the price (pay per type of tree regardless of height).  






The kids were pumped. This year we inherited a beautiful artificial tree when my parents downsized to one tree from two.  Lucky us!  I've wanted to do two trees for a long time.  One artificial and one the real dealio.  The kids wouldn't let me out of our family tradition of actually cutting a tree down anyway.  

The artificial tree is amazing in all it's 9 foot goodness. It's no Wal-mart special.  It really looks and feels like the real thing.  So that tree was going in our main living space.  Which meant the fresh tree was going in our less used living room.  It's a tiny space but has the window that faces the street.  It's something I really wanted in our house...a perfect front-facing window for a Christmas tree. Finally happened this year after 14 married Christmases.  It also meant we could look for a smaller, narrow tree.  Much easier to find, haul, set up and take down.  

We found the perfect one after not too long.  

 Switch the photographer out for proof I was there.  

The kids each took a turn and it was down in less than 5 minutes.  

 The kids insisted on carrying it back to the train.  Can you spot Ry?

And our whole family crammed in the caboose for the short trip back to the barn where they wrap your tree. They look forward to the ride in the little, red caboose all year.  



We got the tree into the house the next day, but it took me some time to put together new tree decorations.  See, the fresh tree became the 'nice' tree...with fancy ornaments (really just from the Target dollar section), and ribbon.  Always wanted to have a pretty tree.  It was my main addition to the Christmas decor this year. I loved it.  And it really hung in there for 5 weeks and smelled so good. But by week 6 it was brittle and droopy.




As much as I loved it, really, my heart is with our family tree, which is why we place it where we live.  We have several boxes of ornaments now that we have collected over the years. The kids add a couple each year (from school, piano, etc).  This year I picked up a collector's pack of character ornaments from the original 'Rudolph' movie.  It was something different than the many sports, princesses, etc that have been picked out in the past.  They each picked out one, and I wrote their names and date on them.



 They loved getting out the boxes of ornaments and filling the tree up with dozens of memories and fun dating back to my childhood years (earliest ornament is mine that I made in Sunbeams!)

Here they are showing off the ornaments we painted one night for FHE.  The only real shot I have of them in front of the Christmas tree this year.  

It is magnificent to me.  I just love, love, love it.  It's the perfect tree for ornaments...a lot of nooks and spaces to hang from.  Thanks mom and dad for an awesome tree that will continue on your tradition of great Christmas memories!

Putting up the trees marks the beginning of the season...it was a great one.  A slew of posts to come.  



1 comments:

Kris and Cath 7:51 AM  

Your tree looks magical! I love this tree farm and the train! How awesome for kids

Email Me

Blog Archive

Our {business}

Why I {Blog}

My little blog is a family journal. I include things on here I want to remember years and years from now. So when I post a zillion pictures...it is because I want to have it for my posterity. So please forgive the often posted-picture overload.

Currently I am trying to focus on my photography skills...reading, reading, reading, and taking pictures when I can. Then edit, read, read, read some more. I finally feel like I have a basic understanding of exposure...hooray! I updated my blog template so I can display larger photos because...aren't pictures better than anything I have to say anyway?

More about me here.

Looking For Something?

Avoiding {Illiteracy}

  • Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis
  • The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
  • Persuasion by Jane Austen
  • Chocolat by Joanne Harris
  • The Squires Tale by Gerald Morris
  • David Copperfield by Charles Dickens
  • Watership Down by Richard Adams
  • Crossing to Safety by Wallace Stegner
  • The Color of Water by James McBride
  • I Am a Mother by Jane Clayson Johnson
  • Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
  • The Tempest by William Shakespeare
  • The Witch of Blackbird Pond & The Bronze Bow by Elizabeth George Speare
  • Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky
  • Twilight by Stephenie Meyer
  • Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
  • Freakonomics by Steven Levitt & Stephen Dubner
  • Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling
  • Undaunted Courage by Stephen E. Ambrose
  • Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes