Friday, January 25, 2013

{Carson Happenings}


*Photo by Andrea Pasion*

It's one of those years when a lot happens on your birthday.  Carson turned 11 in January.  Yes, 11 years old.  I know I say this every year, but I can't believe it.  I can not wrap my brain around the fact that I have 7 short years left with this boy under my roof.  Time seems to be speeding up, birthdays happening so often, milestones around every corner, and me, as a mom, trying to slow it down.  And it doesn't work.  



He graduated from cub scouts in January.  Cubs only last 3 years before they advance into the Boy Scout program.  I love cubs so much.  The whole family does.  It comes at such a perfect age and the boys enjoy the program the entire 3 years. There is a ton of parent involvement, which makes it all easy to keep track of.  We all loved the pack meetings and activities.  Boy Scouts is more leader-driven, as parents can only encourage their boys (and can't sign stuff off).  It'll be different.  

I can't say I didn't shed some tears when I sewed on the last patches to his cub uniform in preparation for the 'Bridging Ceremony' into Boy Scouts.  He also earned the highest award in Cub Scouts, the Arrow of Light.  

Here he is at 8 years old just entering the program:





And 3 short years later...





Man, when you put them next to each other like that...I can't believe how much he has changed! From a baby face to an almost teenager. And such a handsome kid too!








Carson, We are so glad you are in our family.  We love you so much!  

1. He manages the 'oldest child' spot so well.  He recognizes the perks and extras that come with being the oldest (staying up late, more freedom outside, helping yourself to snacks without asking, etc.) and then also accepts the responsibility too (helping with the little boys, cleaning up after himself, etc.).  He fits the role perfectly.
2. He is learning to be a great babysitter!  He just finished a course at the local fire station and is now officially 'Safe Sitter' certified!  This is so awesome!  Mostly for me because I can leave him for a few hours here and there and Trevor and I have even escaped for dinner after Miles is tucked in bed leaving Carson in charge.  Oh the freedom for all of us ahead...11 years coming, and we finally have groomed our very own babysitter!!  And he does such and awesome job and takes it very seriously (making sure he has his babysitting backpack with all his supplies...(first aid kit, CPR instructions, emergency numbers)).  
3.  He continues to be a great reader and a great student.  Math and writing are his favorite subjects.  The teacher is trying to get him to write bigger because he has tiny hand writing like his dad.  
4.  He still loves playing with his siblings.  Whether it is 'play school', legos, trains, or setting up movies...he still has a ball with them mixed in with various arguments and fighting (he wouldn't be normal if that didn't happen, right?!)
5. He is glued to his iPod.  He's had it a year now, and it's still his most favorite toy.  He'll text me from the next room, play word games with his grandma, build cities in Minecraft with his cousins, and bug me endlessly for new apps.  I've still got him on tight restrictions (no internet, no facebook, no instagram, no YouTube) and he hasn't really tried to push those limits. Yet.  I have mama bear syndrome on this one.  I'll hold out as long as I can.  And talk, talk, talk every week about steering clear of anything inappropriate.  
6.  He's loving the new basketball hoop (even if I did run over the base and crack it enough so it won't hold water. Ugh. Not proud of that one! Trevor is fixing it up, thankfully).  He loves playing outside in general...bikes, tag, you name it.  If it isn't raining, he wants to be outside.
7.  He has such great church and school friends.  I'm so very grateful he has such awesome role models.  I want him to have a crew of friends that can help each other make good choices.  Especially as we are facing middle school in a year and half.  THAT could be the most terrifying parent moment yet.  
8.  He is always the one to volunteer to go to the store with me in the evenings. I shop when Trevor gets home for work, and always enjoy his company. It's a great time for us to chat about school, friends, and life.  I think he actually enjoys being with me. I dread the day when it becomes embarrassing.  
9. He gives me the 'I love you' sign when I drop him off at school. Every day.  Bless his heart.  I love it.


*This was crazy hair day at school (half blue/half red)*


10.  He has such a great relationship with his Dad too.  Trevor makes a point of spending time with him each day.  He usually ends up in Carson's room last after tucking the littler kids in bed...so he lays on his bed and they talk, work on homework, play on the iPod, listen to music, and lately have been reading a page or two out of 'Preach my Gospel'.  I'm so excited for them to go on Carson's first scout campout next week.  Boys (and the Dads!) live for this stuff.  It's such an awesome age for dad and son.  They both are eating it up.
11.  His testimony of the gospel is growing.  It's so fun to watch.  He feels so proud when he tags along as home teaching companion with Trevor. He willingly teaches Family Home Evening lessons.  He's working at reading his scriptures every day.  The constant effort for family prayers, scripture study, family home evening, etc...it's all starting to rub off on him on an individual level.  



*photo by Andrea Pasion*


Oh, I feel like I could go on and on...'cause that's what moms just do.  But I do really feel so blessed to have him for a son. I can't imagine our family without him. He was gone at his cousins house for just a couple days, and we missed him like crazy!  

His 11th birthday was a blast!  We had a fun movie birthday party for him on his actual birthday....pictures coming up next!




3 comments:

Our family 6:20 PM  

I love 11 too! Just a thought, you can fill those b-ball stands with sand instead of water. It's pretty impossible to move once it's full, but it may not leak.

Kris and Cath 8:51 AM  

This makes my heart melt. I love Carson:) You and your sweet fam. Love it

Reese 10:51 PM  

That 8-year old picture just made me gasp. Unreal how FAST that happened. We agree. He's growing into such an awesome kid. Love him. And the party looks ever awesome, as always! Can't wait to see pics from their Vegas trip.

Email Me

Blog Archive

Our {business}

Why I {Blog}

My little blog is a family journal. I include things on here I want to remember years and years from now. So when I post a zillion pictures...it is because I want to have it for my posterity. So please forgive the often posted-picture overload.

Currently I am trying to focus on my photography skills...reading, reading, reading, and taking pictures when I can. Then edit, read, read, read some more. I finally feel like I have a basic understanding of exposure...hooray! I updated my blog template so I can display larger photos because...aren't pictures better than anything I have to say anyway?

More about me here.

Looking For Something?

Avoiding {Illiteracy}

  • Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis
  • The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
  • Persuasion by Jane Austen
  • Chocolat by Joanne Harris
  • The Squires Tale by Gerald Morris
  • David Copperfield by Charles Dickens
  • Watership Down by Richard Adams
  • Crossing to Safety by Wallace Stegner
  • The Color of Water by James McBride
  • I Am a Mother by Jane Clayson Johnson
  • Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
  • The Tempest by William Shakespeare
  • The Witch of Blackbird Pond & The Bronze Bow by Elizabeth George Speare
  • Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky
  • Twilight by Stephenie Meyer
  • Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
  • Freakonomics by Steven Levitt & Stephen Dubner
  • Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling
  • Undaunted Courage by Stephen E. Ambrose
  • Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes