Friday, April 19, 2013

{Addison: Activity Days Pinewood Derby}

About 6 months ago I got my dream calling in our church...Activity Days leader. I love, love being with Addison in this age 8-11 year old group.  It is such a good group of girls!  We are so blessed to have such a big group too...which means friends all around for everyone.  I love that.  


The girls sometimes feel a little slighted when compared to Cub Scouts. The Cubs get camp, pinewood derby, more outdoor activities (BB guns, archery), pack meetings with families each month, etc. So...it has been my mission as a leader to remedy that by placing activities the girls want on the Activity Days schedule. And what did they want?  And all-girls Pinewood Derby.  Ok, we were off and running with it. 

We piggybacked days with the cub scout pinewood derby so we didn't have to set up the track. Prepped decorations, distributed pinewood derby car kits and the girls/parents got to work over a 4 week period.  

Trevor thought he was off the hook for a few years because Carson is no longer in Cub Scouts and Rylan has a few years to go.  But, not so this year. He had to work his magic for the 4th straight year.  He's got it pretty well down and knows a few tricks (and it doesn't hurt that we have an awesome neighbor with a 1000 sq ft wood shop with every tool imaginable).  But it still takes a lot of time.  A lot.  Addy hung in there with him for about 15 seconds.  But he worked for a couple long nights getting it ready for her to bling and paint.  

Of course pink, glitter, and sparkle were in her design plan.  

Finished product and exactly 5 ounces.  

Here she is anxiously awaiting the first race.

She was pretty darn excited to see her car cross first in the first heat. And dad sighs a huge sigh of relief that at least she's done well enough on one heat.   


But as the bracket went on and girls were eliminated it came down to Addy's car and her good friend, Olivia's car.  They had raced eachother multiple times with sometimes Addy coming in first and other times Olivia coming in first. It came down to lane assignments, I think.  But on the final race....

She was pretty thrilled!!  

All the girls! All good sports and all had a great time.  It was so fun to watch these girls....can I just say it was SO different from Cub Scouts with all the squealing, cheer leading  jumping, and hugging.  Really so sweet. They absolutely loved it.  And it might become an annual tradition.

And major props to the hubster who really made it a day she'll remember. He rocked it out.

WooHoo! Congrats Addison!

1 comments:

Tyler 7:08 PM  

Congrats Addi! and Trevor! Great Work!

Email Me

Blog Archive

Our {business}

Why I {Blog}

My little blog is a family journal. I include things on here I want to remember years and years from now. So when I post a zillion pictures...it is because I want to have it for my posterity. So please forgive the often posted-picture overload.

Currently I am trying to focus on my photography skills...reading, reading, reading, and taking pictures when I can. Then edit, read, read, read some more. I finally feel like I have a basic understanding of exposure...hooray! I updated my blog template so I can display larger photos because...aren't pictures better than anything I have to say anyway?

More about me here.

Looking For Something?

Avoiding {Illiteracy}

  • Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis
  • The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
  • Persuasion by Jane Austen
  • Chocolat by Joanne Harris
  • The Squires Tale by Gerald Morris
  • David Copperfield by Charles Dickens
  • Watership Down by Richard Adams
  • Crossing to Safety by Wallace Stegner
  • The Color of Water by James McBride
  • I Am a Mother by Jane Clayson Johnson
  • Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
  • The Tempest by William Shakespeare
  • The Witch of Blackbird Pond & The Bronze Bow by Elizabeth George Speare
  • Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky
  • Twilight by Stephenie Meyer
  • Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
  • Freakonomics by Steven Levitt & Stephen Dubner
  • Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling
  • Undaunted Courage by Stephen E. Ambrose
  • Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes