Wednesday, September 11, 2013

{Rylan's 5th Birthday: Monster Party}

Calling all Monsters!  
This sweet boy is turning 5!!

I have really wanted to do a monster party for awhile!  Especially since Rylan's favorite book is "I Need My Monster"!
(Written by our dear friend Amanda Noll...it's fantastic. Get it on amazon here.)  

We squeezed in his birthday party the day before his birthday which also was the day before school started.  The last day of summer. What a way to go out!  




The food and display was so much fun!  I used inexpensive monster images to make my own printables and freehanded three of them onto posterboard.  


  Just add candy eyes to some of your favorite desserts to create instant monsters!



I found those monster suckers on ebay.  And made this popcorn monster munch (so addicting!)  


Hamming it up for the camera.  Love this little smile!


Try carving your watermelon like a pumpkin!...super easy and by far the kids' favorite monster treat on the table and the most devoured too.  My kids can eat an entire watermelon in one sitting. 


 One sweet 5 year old waiting for his friends to arrive!

These party favorite bags contained a few monster toys and goodies.  I bought the red bags and then cut all the pieces of felt and sewed them on using this tutorial.  Turned out so cute (but was a little time intensive). However my boys are still using their bags for various toys and treasures so I like that it's something that gets actually gets used.

 Googly eyes for everything .... they transform plain plates and napkins into little creatures keeping an eye on you!



As his guests arrived, we had fun with a photo-booth on the deck.  These monster smiles come from hobby lobby and the kids had a blast with them! That cute polka dot fabric is also Hobby Lobby and played double duty for Halloween too.  



My 4 little monsters!

Rylan's sweet friends! 




These monster drinking straws were also from Hobby Lobby.  Can you tell I love that store?

I bought a monster building kit on Etsy of printable monsters and the kids had a blast picking out eyes, noses, ears and mouths to create their own unique monsters. Easy activity for $3 and some construction paper.




This Monster Bowling kit is a Melissa & Doug toy and the kids begged for multiple turns.  


Can't be a 5 year old party with out a pin-it game. In this case...Pin the eyes on the monster.  


Since he's not a big cake fan, I skipped over slaving over one and opted for easy cupcakes.  5 candles...he's getting so big!


Rylan is such a happy kid and enjoys every second of being the center of attention. Monster Party success!

3 comments:

kphilli 12:00 PM  

What an awesome party! I am working on my boy's First bday. Where in hobby lobby did you find the monster mouths? thanks!

Haylee 8:16 PM  

Just found your blog! What a great party! Thanks for sharing your fun ideas!!

Heather Hurt 4:43 PM  

Hello! Where did you find those cute frames?! Adorable party by the way!

Email Me

Blog Archive

Our {business}

Why I {Blog}

My little blog is a family journal. I include things on here I want to remember years and years from now. So when I post a zillion pictures...it is because I want to have it for my posterity. So please forgive the often posted-picture overload.

Currently I am trying to focus on my photography skills...reading, reading, reading, and taking pictures when I can. Then edit, read, read, read some more. I finally feel like I have a basic understanding of exposure...hooray! I updated my blog template so I can display larger photos because...aren't pictures better than anything I have to say anyway?

More about me here.

Looking For Something?

Avoiding {Illiteracy}

  • Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis
  • The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
  • Persuasion by Jane Austen
  • Chocolat by Joanne Harris
  • The Squires Tale by Gerald Morris
  • David Copperfield by Charles Dickens
  • Watership Down by Richard Adams
  • Crossing to Safety by Wallace Stegner
  • The Color of Water by James McBride
  • I Am a Mother by Jane Clayson Johnson
  • Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
  • The Tempest by William Shakespeare
  • The Witch of Blackbird Pond & The Bronze Bow by Elizabeth George Speare
  • Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky
  • Twilight by Stephenie Meyer
  • Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
  • Freakonomics by Steven Levitt & Stephen Dubner
  • Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling
  • Undaunted Courage by Stephen E. Ambrose
  • Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes