Saturday, November 30, 2013

{Grandma Helen Anderson}

Trevor's maternal grandmother, Helen Anderson, passed away in November.  We were not close to her and she has been estranged from the family for decades.  She's lived a very hard life, making choices that brought upon tough consequences. Trevor's mom was the oldest of 4 children, and Helen left the family when she was a young girl and didn't have much contact at all with her until after high school. And even throughout her adult years, contact was difficult and draining.  But she came around at the end of her life.  She was reactivated into the gospel and attended the temple regularly. Trevor's mom was her only child that maintained a relationship with her, so she was a saint in taking care of her those last few months.  

I only saw her 3 times and she was kind and graceful and beautiful. I wish we could have known her better. She always made a point to call when I sent valentines, birthday cards, or Christmas cards. I don't think she received much of anything from her grand children. Trevor also tried to talk to her 2-3 times a year for which she was very grateful.  



Trevor was able, thankfully, to rearrange some things at work to drive down to the funeral in Salt Lake City.  I was glad he could be there for his mom and be able to go through some of his Grandmother's keepsakes.  Trevor's two sisters attended, as well as one other cousin, Shane.  The ward did a wonderful job with the service. Trevor ended up offering the family prayer as the other family member wasn't able to come. He also spoke and sang in the musical number with his mom and sisters.  


The only family in attendance: 
Cousin Shane, Darin & Melinda, Chuck & Judy, Anne, Trevor





 The sweetest thing I will remember about her is these letters that she sent Carson with a short note and a $5 dollar bill to contribute towards his mission.   It was money she didn't have to send, but did so anyway.  In the year before she died, she sent a letter each month.  It was a tender and sweet gesture.  I have them all tied up in Carson's memory box.  I don't have the heart to deposit that money.  I've just left it in the envelopes for now.

0 comments:

Email Me

Blog Archive

Our {business}

Why I {Blog}

My little blog is a family journal. I include things on here I want to remember years and years from now. So when I post a zillion pictures...it is because I want to have it for my posterity. So please forgive the often posted-picture overload.

Currently I am trying to focus on my photography skills...reading, reading, reading, and taking pictures when I can. Then edit, read, read, read some more. I finally feel like I have a basic understanding of exposure...hooray! I updated my blog template so I can display larger photos because...aren't pictures better than anything I have to say anyway?

More about me here.

Looking For Something?

Avoiding {Illiteracy}

  • Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis
  • The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
  • Persuasion by Jane Austen
  • Chocolat by Joanne Harris
  • The Squires Tale by Gerald Morris
  • David Copperfield by Charles Dickens
  • Watership Down by Richard Adams
  • Crossing to Safety by Wallace Stegner
  • The Color of Water by James McBride
  • I Am a Mother by Jane Clayson Johnson
  • Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
  • The Tempest by William Shakespeare
  • The Witch of Blackbird Pond & The Bronze Bow by Elizabeth George Speare
  • Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky
  • Twilight by Stephenie Meyer
  • Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
  • Freakonomics by Steven Levitt & Stephen Dubner
  • Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling
  • Undaunted Courage by Stephen E. Ambrose
  • Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes