Wednesday, June 18, 2014

{6th Grade Graduation}

I've been so grateful all year long that our school district keeps 6th graders in elementary school.  I would have been terrified sending him off to Junior High at the beginning of 6th grade.  But slowly throughout the year, I saw him grow (physically, emotionally, spiritually) and by the end of 6th grade, I finally see it.  He's ready to move on.  I feel like that happened at the perfect time for Carson.  Not too early, not too late.  Still don't feel warm and fuzzy inside about Junior High...I'm practically in panic mode, but he's a cool cat.


He's always been a great student with no behavior issues at school. He doesn't rock the boat and just goes with the flow.  He is responsible for his own assignments and tests and needs fewer and fewer reminders and 'check-in's' with mom about homework.  He'll do fantastic in Junior High.

Carson's June was really busy with a lot of year-end wrap up events. 

All through 6th grade he was part of "Readers to Leaders" where he gave up his recess to work with 1st graders.  He helps them learn to read! He adored those first graders and will really miss them! He brought a little treat for each of them on his last day.  Melt my heart. He's a good kid. 



He participated in 6th grade track and ran the 100m at the district meet finishing 2nd in his heat!







Cute brothers there to support him!


He had his final orchestra concert.  He was moved up to the the "second years" even though this is only his first year playing (all that piano paying off).  


And then the big 6th grade graduation!  Here he is accepting the "Super Achiever" award. He worked on this all year long, and he was the only student to get the award in 6th grade! It required good grades, several projects (Reflections & Notable Americans), 20 service hours,  3 clubs activities (He had more than that: Student Council, Math Relay, Orchestra, Readers to Leaders, Track).  Anyway, it was A LOT...and I was proud of him for sticking to his plan to complete it.  That's his teacher on the left, Mrs. Aragon. She was fantastic.


Accepting his diploma for 6th grade graduation.  



Some good friends, Scott & Alex.  The candy lei I made, kind of worked out! (What do you get a 6th grade boy??)  


  
 Major awards!






 I also volunteered to help chaperone at the 6th grade party that night.  It was a super fun night of food, music, photo booths, t-shirt signing, etc.  It was so fun to be a fly on the wall and watch him with his great group of friends.  









On to 7th grade and Junior High!  (Heaven help me.)

0 comments:

Email Me

Blog Archive

Our {business}

Why I {Blog}

My little blog is a family journal. I include things on here I want to remember years and years from now. So when I post a zillion pictures...it is because I want to have it for my posterity. So please forgive the often posted-picture overload.

Currently I am trying to focus on my photography skills...reading, reading, reading, and taking pictures when I can. Then edit, read, read, read some more. I finally feel like I have a basic understanding of exposure...hooray! I updated my blog template so I can display larger photos because...aren't pictures better than anything I have to say anyway?

More about me here.

Looking For Something?

Avoiding {Illiteracy}

  • Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis
  • The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
  • Persuasion by Jane Austen
  • Chocolat by Joanne Harris
  • The Squires Tale by Gerald Morris
  • David Copperfield by Charles Dickens
  • Watership Down by Richard Adams
  • Crossing to Safety by Wallace Stegner
  • The Color of Water by James McBride
  • I Am a Mother by Jane Clayson Johnson
  • Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
  • The Tempest by William Shakespeare
  • The Witch of Blackbird Pond & The Bronze Bow by Elizabeth George Speare
  • Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky
  • Twilight by Stephenie Meyer
  • Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
  • Freakonomics by Steven Levitt & Stephen Dubner
  • Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling
  • Undaunted Courage by Stephen E. Ambrose
  • Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes