Tuesday, September 02, 2014

{Back to School traditions}

For the last couple years, sometime during the week before school starts, I take the kids to downtown Seattle for one last hurrah!  We love going to the city!  I try to cast aside any stress from parking, traffic, and driving a Suburban on tiny Seattle streets...and just go with the flow and see the things the kids want to see.  

The Great Wheel is always fun!




A quick visit to the gum wall, followed by fresh mini donuts at Pike Place.  


We took the monorail to the Space Needle and walked around the park for awhile.


Great mom & kids day!  






Carson is starting Junior High so he had "prep day" a week before school started to get his ASB card, figure out his locker, and get a tour of the school so he could find each of his classes.  I was super glad this was a parent/kid activity so I could have a sneak peak at all these new things too!


Back to school night for this kiddo too...We fell in love with his Kindergarten teacher and her amazing classroom!  

I take each of the kids on one-on-one dates for miscellaneous school clothes/supplies shopping and a dinner or lunch together.  


And the kids always ask for a fancy back to school dinner which is fun to put together. They choose white chicken chili soup, bread, and fruit pizza!  


I picked out our theme for the school year based on this talk by Elder Eyring: "There is Joy Guaranteed for the Faithful".  As we have a new preschooler, new kindergartner, and a new Junior High student, life is not without it's challenges.  The pressures in the world on adults and kids from the adversary are real and sometimes, despite our knowledge to the contrary, it's hard to make the right choices.  But this promise from a latter-day prophet is true: we are guaranteed joy if we are faithful! There is no greater blessing! 











After father's blessings and last minute backpack checks, the kids were ready to leave summer behind them and start a new school year (mom included!)  


0 comments:

Email Me

Blog Archive

Our {business}

Why I {Blog}

My little blog is a family journal. I include things on here I want to remember years and years from now. So when I post a zillion pictures...it is because I want to have it for my posterity. So please forgive the often posted-picture overload.

Currently I am trying to focus on my photography skills...reading, reading, reading, and taking pictures when I can. Then edit, read, read, read some more. I finally feel like I have a basic understanding of exposure...hooray! I updated my blog template so I can display larger photos because...aren't pictures better than anything I have to say anyway?

More about me here.

Looking For Something?

Avoiding {Illiteracy}

  • Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis
  • The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
  • Persuasion by Jane Austen
  • Chocolat by Joanne Harris
  • The Squires Tale by Gerald Morris
  • David Copperfield by Charles Dickens
  • Watership Down by Richard Adams
  • Crossing to Safety by Wallace Stegner
  • The Color of Water by James McBride
  • I Am a Mother by Jane Clayson Johnson
  • Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
  • The Tempest by William Shakespeare
  • The Witch of Blackbird Pond & The Bronze Bow by Elizabeth George Speare
  • Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky
  • Twilight by Stephenie Meyer
  • Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
  • Freakonomics by Steven Levitt & Stephen Dubner
  • Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling
  • Undaunted Courage by Stephen E. Ambrose
  • Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes