Rylan's birthday was the the day after the big kids started school. Kindergarten didn't start for Ry until the next week. Since we already had his party at the end of August, we kept it low key. And frankly, the start of school completely wiped me out so I didn't have energy to do anything other than blow up some balloons.
Trevor took him out to lunch (tradition). And then we ate out as a family at Red Robin that night. He loved every minute. He's such a sweetheart!
At Age 6:
- Rylan knows all his letters, letter sounds, and can count to 100. He got a great start to Kindergarten due to an awesome preschool teacher.
- He enjoys school and loves his Kindergarten teacher, Mrs. Benjamin. The first couple of weeks she kept telling him how much she loved his voice and that it was sweet that he was naturally a loud talker....but that he needs to use his inside voice in the classroom. I love how she doesn't want to change him (he's always been a loud talker), but she helps him understand he doesn't need to shout while speaking :)
- He makes friends easily. He's always looking for a friend at the park, playground, church. He warms up to people quickly. Boys and girls.
- He's still our wild dancer and has kind of break-dancing style currently. He loves music and still hoards the iPad to play his favorite songs.
- He loves to give hugs, especially before I leave anywhere (store, to get the mail...wherever!)
- He's awesome on his bicycle now (no training wheels) and loves running around outside whenever he can.
- He is impossible to get up in the morning. He already loves to sleep-in. We try putting him to bed earlier so he's not such a bear in the morning, but that doesn't go over well either. It's a no win. He's often found asleep at 5pm from exhaustion (especially since starting all-day kindergarten). So at 7pm, he's wide awake and ready for round 2 of the day. :/
- He's still a daddy's boy and loves his one one time with him to play catch, mow the lawn, or go on errands.
- He's getting easier in some ways. More rational with the ability to reason. But he's also the quickest to tears in the family. You can't look at him wrong or you'll get a big reaction. We are working on it!
- Each night in his prayers he prays that he will "go on a mission when he gets big and get married in the temple". He melts my heart!
- He's a sweet and positive kid (still!). He's generally happy and excited about life whether it be lemonade for dinner or a trip to Disneyland. He loves our family traditions and doing things together with the family.
We love this sweet 6 year old to pieces! I can't imagine our family without him!!
Happy Happy Birthday Rylan!