Sunday, May 24, 2015

{Baby Girl Nursery: Pink and Gold}




I was so, so excited to plan and design a baby GIRL nursery.  After two boys, we were ready for all things girly.  Once we got the boys settled in their new room, it was full steam ahead on nursery prep.
I was still painting and getting things together just 3 days before we had her...phew!! Just in time!

Here's the before pictures.  This was right when we moved in and I hadn't changed it much at all in 4 years.  It just got crammed with more toys and garb from two little boys' treasures. But I don't have a picture right before we transferred them to the new room. Shoot!  

I couldn't believe how much room there was when we took that twin bed out of there. I kept the crib in the same spot and then had so much area to work with!

Before Picture (Miles & Rylan's room):
 Before picture:
 Before picture (Miles' crib bedding)
 And for the last year the crib has looked like this (below).  A converted toddler bed.

I really wanted to go with a soft color palette...focusing on blush pink (not bright pink!).  Soft and feminine.  The wall paint color took several samples to nail down.  It's actually in the 'whites'.  It's super soft and I love how it turned out (Soft Muslin by Behr).  Perfect shade of pink! I hadn't ever painted this room before, so the builder beige was still in there and the change was so welcome! Accent colors would be gold (love!!) and mint.


 Major garb to sort through!
I went a little crazy with gold spray paint.  I painted the new glass bookshelf (Ikea), the curtain rod, a metal basket, a few bins, and even the drawer hardware....all gold.

And I replaced the light with a small chandelier.  Ah!  It's sooo good! 

I found a new rocker/glider and a darling pink rug and it all started to come together.  I have loved putting together the nursery for each of my babies, but this one seemed extra special since it is our last.  I'm already trying to savor this time and she isn't even here yet!  


The bedding was tricky too. I wanted something simple. No bumper.  But also wasn't willing to pay $300 for a designer set that only comes with 2 pieces! I finally found the cutest gold dot sheets but could not find crib skirt or quilt.  So my amazing friend, Vivian, graciously made me a quilt in that soft blush pink and gold to match! I love it! And then my mom helped me with a tulle crib skirt.  And I still love my white crib 5 kids and 13 years later.  Simple and classic.  Love, love it. 




And the finished product!


My mom painted the old dresser (Trevor used it as a young child) a soft mint color. (Yes, my mom is awesome.)  I love the gold pulls too!  









Cannot wait to have our darling baby girl here!!
It's my absolute favorite spot in the house (and all kids are banned from it!)

0 comments:

Email Me

Blog Archive

Our {business}

Why I {Blog}

My little blog is a family journal. I include things on here I want to remember years and years from now. So when I post a zillion pictures...it is because I want to have it for my posterity. So please forgive the often posted-picture overload.

Currently I am trying to focus on my photography skills...reading, reading, reading, and taking pictures when I can. Then edit, read, read, read some more. I finally feel like I have a basic understanding of exposure...hooray! I updated my blog template so I can display larger photos because...aren't pictures better than anything I have to say anyway?

More about me here.

Looking For Something?

Avoiding {Illiteracy}

  • Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis
  • The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
  • Persuasion by Jane Austen
  • Chocolat by Joanne Harris
  • The Squires Tale by Gerald Morris
  • David Copperfield by Charles Dickens
  • Watership Down by Richard Adams
  • Crossing to Safety by Wallace Stegner
  • The Color of Water by James McBride
  • I Am a Mother by Jane Clayson Johnson
  • Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
  • The Tempest by William Shakespeare
  • The Witch of Blackbird Pond & The Bronze Bow by Elizabeth George Speare
  • Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky
  • Twilight by Stephenie Meyer
  • Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
  • Freakonomics by Steven Levitt & Stephen Dubner
  • Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling
  • Undaunted Courage by Stephen E. Ambrose
  • Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes