Wednesday, March 25, 2015

{Carmel-By-The-Sea Babymoon}

Trevor surprised me for my birthday (while he was out of town) with plane tickets and travel plans 10 days later to beautiful Carmel, CA.  I was stunned when I opened the card because we were leaving so soon!  He arranged babysitting and everything for the kiddos so we could get away for a few days.  
He knows I enjoy exploring new places, so he picked a spot in California that was easy to travel to (in and out of Oakland), but also beautiful with lots of touristy options.  

 The coast line in this central CA area is incredible!  The temperature stays pretty mild year round and provides for some lush landscapes.  
 When we arrived we started out in Monterey and ate lunch with an ocean view.  Glorious and warm and delish!  

We walked along the pier and did some window shopping.  
 We had been in town for less than 3 hours when I missed a curb while walking and sprained my ankle very badly.  The drop was about 18 inches (old, old streets with a terrible drop from curb to street) and I landed on the side of my ankle hard.  I knew instantly it was pretty bad.  I couldn't bear any weight on it at all. I sat down on the curb and saw a golf ball size lump appear at the top of my foot.  After about 10 minutes Trevor got me (mostly carried me) to a nearby bench.  He ran to get ice and the car.  Parked in the middle of the street to get me into the car. Drove to RiteAid and got tylenol, bandages, a brace, and crutches.  Just how you want to start out the weekend, right?  Ugh! It completely changed our trip in an instant.  I was so, so bummed.  I couldn't even walk!  We headed to the hotel where I had it elevated for a couple hours. I could take tylenol but nothing else.  I REALLY needed an anti-inflammatory, but you absolutely cannot take while you are pregnant (I even called my doc and tried. He said no.).  The tylenol took the edge off, but it was severely swollen for days and days.  

Bad ankle or not, I hobbled down the to beach so we could watch the sunset.  


 It was spectacular!


 In a strange sequence of events, the Madsens (our good friends from our ward) just happened to be vacationing at the same spot!  How crazy is that!  They are major foodies, so we piggy backed on their dinner spots two nights in a row. It was great fun to visit with these guys!  

The next day, Trevor got me all fixed up!  I was still in a lot of pain and trying to use the crutches to avoid putting much weight on my foot at all.  


We ate breakfast in the sunshine at this adorable cottage.



And then since major hiking or physical activities were eliminated, we wen on the the "17-mile Drive" down the coast line in Monterey. The drive is owned and maintained by Pebble Beach (famous, famous golf course).  There were so many scenic spots...we stopped to get out and look around at least a dozen times.  


The tree below is on the Pebble Beach logo.  It's literally growing out of rock.  



The golf course (which is major prestigious and has been used many times for the US Open) is open to the public.  Here is Trevor on the famous 18th green.  The clubhouse, grounds, shops .... all amazing and about as high-end as you can imagine.


Later that day we figured I might be able to go kayaking since you don't really need your feet. Ha!  I had a little trouble getting in and out (can you imagine....a 7 month pregnant lady on crutches!), but managed ok.  And I'm so glad we did this!  





Another yummy dinner on Saturday night and then we had most of Sunday to explore again.  It was a little on the cloudy side, but we did find our way down to the actual beach in Carmel and then did some shopping in town.  Carmel is DARLING!  There are no chain stores...it's all locally owned with boutiques and delis and shops galore.  I sure wished my ankle wasn't hurting so badly, because I really could have walked around a lot more.  

We drove around looking at cute cottages and homes too.  Such a pretty and unique spot. Each house was so different.  




Our flight got delayed by an hour so we squeezed in a quick stop at the Oakland temple. My dad served in the Oakland mission and lived right across from this temple for a period of time on his mission.  When we walked around to the back of the temple,  I was totally amazed by the spectacular city and ocean view. You could see the golden gate bridge in the distance. I wished we had one more day to play in San Francisco....next time.  


Despite the bum ankle, we really enjoyed the relaxing slow pace that no-kid vacations provide! A time to rejuvenate and spend time together was the best birthday present and babymoon ever!

0 comments:

Email Me

Blog Archive

Our {business}

Why I {Blog}

My little blog is a family journal. I include things on here I want to remember years and years from now. So when I post a zillion pictures...it is because I want to have it for my posterity. So please forgive the often posted-picture overload.

Currently I am trying to focus on my photography skills...reading, reading, reading, and taking pictures when I can. Then edit, read, read, read some more. I finally feel like I have a basic understanding of exposure...hooray! I updated my blog template so I can display larger photos because...aren't pictures better than anything I have to say anyway?

More about me here.

Looking For Something?

Avoiding {Illiteracy}

  • Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis
  • The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
  • Persuasion by Jane Austen
  • Chocolat by Joanne Harris
  • The Squires Tale by Gerald Morris
  • David Copperfield by Charles Dickens
  • Watership Down by Richard Adams
  • Crossing to Safety by Wallace Stegner
  • The Color of Water by James McBride
  • I Am a Mother by Jane Clayson Johnson
  • Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
  • The Tempest by William Shakespeare
  • The Witch of Blackbird Pond & The Bronze Bow by Elizabeth George Speare
  • Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky
  • Twilight by Stephenie Meyer
  • Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
  • Freakonomics by Steven Levitt & Stephen Dubner
  • Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling
  • Undaunted Courage by Stephen E. Ambrose
  • Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes