14 years old!
As each year passes....I feel a tightness in my chest. He's only got a few short years left in our home and that doesn't seem possible. I'm really missing this cute kid...which feels like just yesterday. Ah, that sentimental gene gets me every.darn.time.
But let's take a look back to just a year ago. Age 13.
To age 14 (actually this was a few months before his 14th bday). But seriously....he has changed SO much in a year. Got tremendous height, shoe size (currently size 10.5!), started dealing with some acne, and general puberty. Eeek!!! He's a man child now!
His big gift was a Pebble (smart) watch. He was also treated generously by friends and family!
I took pizza to the junior high cafeteria. He's usually surrounded by girls, so I'm surprised Tanner snuck in that pick. Haha.
Costco Red Velvet cake for the win!
In January we finished his room transformation that we started in December. We had to remove the murphy bed (it got destroyed taking it out and almost really injured Trevor and my Dad in the process. Yikes!). My mom was a huge help priming and painting all the trim and helping cover that grafitti wall (that covered the entire bathroom door as well). It was a beast to cover up. But Carson helped me paint the walls.
Here's the before pictures. So done with that orange!
And the after. Just the fresh paint makes a huge difference. And who knew that those awesome windows were ... so awesome?! Couldn't even see them before. Trevor and I got a new mattress so he got our old one (huge step up from the old murphy bed mattress!). New head board, nightstand and shelving and desk. So fresh and perfect for a teenager! And doubles as the guest room too. I love how it turned out!
Couldn't ask for a better "oldest" child in our fam. He doesn't give us much trouble at all. The teenager woes have definitely not rocked this house.
- He does well in school (even if procrastinates a bit...he always pulls it off. Not my style, but he makes it work!). He gets good grades, makes up work he doesn't do well on, stays after school for extra help.
- He enjoys church and mutual and friends. And super excited to be able to attend the Stake Dances now that he is 14!
- He's still active on the cello and in orchestra and doing so well. Sadly, this will probably be his last year of piano. I cannot get him to practice. Fortunately, since orchestra is a a class..he gets forced practices 5 days a week!
- He's still the baby hog. Loves sweet Ivy and constantly has her snuggled in his bed. He's also good to take care of her and babysit too.
- He's like most teenagers and addicted to his phone. He doesn't play video games, but he sure is glued to his iphone. Much to his dismay it is still doesn't have internet access or any social media (besides instagram). He thinks I'm pretty darn unfair. But I'm not phased. Ha.
- He also binge watches TV shows and is a good TV companion with me!
- He's a good friend (a gaggle of girls around him at all times). He's very social and somehow managed to skip that socially awkward stage (many of the boys his age wouldn't even dream of going to a church dance...but he can't wait!)
- He's active in clubs at school (diversity club, student council, etc).
- He finished up soccer in the fall and looking forward to Young Men basketball that started this month. And he's thinking about starting the swim team at the YMCA with his friend, Tanner. He keeps pretty busy!
We love having him in our family. He's a kind, mature kid. He's growing into such an accomplished and well-rounded young man. But just don't grow up and move out too quickly. My momma heart can't take it!